VS2010 unable to load vsperfcontrol.interop.dll when attaching profiler to process RRS feed

• Question

• When I select Analyze -> Profiler -> Attach/Detach, I get the error "Unable to load file or assembly VSPerfControl.interop.dll version = 2.0.0.0, system cannot find the file specified."

I found the file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools. I registered it in the GAC and restarted VS 2010 and now I no longer receive the error. However putting it in the GAC seems like overkill. Can you tell me where VS2010 expects to be able to find this?

Thank you!

Jason Wells

Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Jason,

You do not have to install the assembly in GAC, VS will automatically search the path (in your case: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools) and load the assembly needed.

Please try to run Visual Studio with Administrator's account (you could right click the icon and select run as administrators). Otherwise, you may need to reinstall Visual Studio.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:36 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Hi Roahn,

Thank you for your reply. Actually the file was there already, so not sure why VS didn't see it until I added it to the GAC. Also I'm running XP so I don't know if running in elevated mode applies here (though my account does have administrator privileges).

However it also turned out that VSPerfDrv100.sys was missing, so as you say my problems probably stem from a bad install.

Thank you again!

Jason

Monday, April 19, 2010 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Jason,

You do not have to install the assembly in GAC, VS will automatically search the path (in your case: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools) and load the assembly needed.

Please try to run Visual Studio with Administrator's account (you could right click the icon and select run as administrators). Otherwise, you may need to reinstall Visual Studio.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Hi Roahn,

Thank you for your reply. Actually the file was there already, so not sure why VS didn't see it until I added it to the GAC. Also I'm running XP so I don't know if running in elevated mode applies here (though my account does have administrator privileges).

However it also turned out that VSPerfDrv100.sys was missing, so as you say my problems probably stem from a bad install.

Thank you again!

Jason

Monday, April 19, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. yes, you are right. VSPerfDrv100.sys drives all the components, we need to get it first.

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Where did you find VSPerfDrv100.sys to install it?  I am experiencing the same problem; but cannot locate this file.  I've reinstalled VS 2010 twice.

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Where did you find VSPerfDrv100.sys to install it?  I am experiencing the same problem; but cannot locate this file.  I've reinstalled VS 2010 twice.

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

If I remember right, I found it digging around the VS 2010 DVD. It was in one of the .cab (or otherwise archived) files. Also, the name inside the .cab file was probably VSPerfDrv100.sy_ or similarly clipped. I would just take your favorite search program and point it at the DVD and tell it to search inside the .cab files for "*VSPerfDrv100*". I think WinRar or a similar program should be able to extract the file from the .cab.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Download and install the Visual Studio 2010 Performance Tools with Service Pack 1  This resolved this error for me.

• Proposed as answer by Arafat Ameer Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:41 AM