none
how to connect the MySql to Visual Studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  

aloha!!

my problem is i cant connect the MySql to visual studio 2008 it hink theres an error to the plugins...help me to connect to the visual studio 2008..what should be the requirements to install to make the mysql fit to the visual studio...hope that the mysql create an plugins to suite in Visual Studio 2008..for those who knows how to conect pls teach me how...pls...

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:50 AM

Answers

• You can either use ODBC or MySql Client for .NET.

1. Download MySql Client dll.

2. Add the dll to your project.

3. Add connection string to web.config

<connectionStrings>
        <add name="Connstring" connectionString="server=localhost; userid=uid;password=pwd;pooling=yes;Database=DB" providerName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient"/>
      </connectionStrings>
      <system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
          <add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=5.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d"/>
        </DbProviderFactories>
      </system.data>

thatt's it you can follow same sqlclient connection.

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:01 AM

All replies

<connectionStrings>
        <add name="Connstring" connectionString="server=localhost; userid=uid;password=pwd;pooling=yes;Database=DB" providerName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient"/>
      </connectionStrings>
      <system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
          <add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=5.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d"/>
        </DbProviderFactories>
      </system.data>

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:01 AM
  • I am currently having the same problem, I understand what you are trying to do Bermil. Where do you get the MySql client dll? Do you add it the same way you would add any other dll through the references in the project?

Thanks,
    Yevgen
    Friday, May 9, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Where we get that MySql Client dll file,where we have to add that file in our project.. please tell me or send that to my mail
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:27 AM
  • I tried some thing to connect MySQL and visual studio2008.But it is not working.
    Lets try this

1.First download MySQL Connector Net 5.2.3 (MySql.Data.msi) file form Mysql.com
    2.Install that file.
    3.Next i the solution explorer right click on the c:\\.... and the add reference
    4.In that select C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Connector Net 5.2.3\Binaries\.NET 2.0\MySql.Data.dll.
    5.Write in Web.config file

<connectionStrings>
        <add name="Connstring" connectionString="server=localhost; userid=root;password=admin;pooling=yes;Database=moin" providerName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient"/>
      </connectionStrings>
      <system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
        </DbProviderFactories>
      </system.data>

6.Try this i will also try

Friday, October 31, 2008 11:48 AM
  • I've tried all of the above. I'm assuming if it works correctly, MySQL should appear as a Data Source. I've tried this in both Express and Professional, but to no avail. There are a lot of people out there who coded this connection manually. I've tried too, but also no luck.

Ideally, I'd like to do this visually.

Regardless, I need to connect to a MySQL database from a .NET project. Is there anyone out there who has done this successfully and walk me through it?

Thanks!
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:51 PM
  • hi Try this for a change

go to control panel>administrative tools>odbc datasource

then on user dsn click add select Mysql odbc 3.51 driver then a window will open put localhost in it and if u have user name and password then fill it otherwise leave it blank.

after this if u goto drop down list u will find all databases just select one u wish to connect  then save it remeber to put the name of odbc connection.

once done u can goto server explorer in visual studio click add connection

select odbc source then a window will appear ! you will see odbc connection name u created there just select it and press test connection if succeeded press ok u will see ur server there .

i hope this will help you.

with regards

Vishal Saxena
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Vishal Saxena Thanks for the help... ur solution definitely helps.. u rock... Thank You Man
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:55 PM

<connectionStrings>
      </connectionStrings>
      <system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
        </DbProviderFactories>
      </system.data>

dear thank you for you help , but I have the same problem as the problem starter

I tried to write download sqlclient dll in my search engine but I have nearly no suitable result

I am building a web application using visual studio 2008 and supported by MySQL data base and the follwing is my connection string value that I am using System.Data.Oledb as a namespace and I think the problem at my connecion string , I do not know how to get the parameters for it except the idea to write keyword status at mySql CLI to get the user name and now leave you with the my code snippet

Dim con As New OdbcConnection("Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1.51 Driver};" & _
                         "Provider=localhost;Database=db1;" & _
                         "User=root;Password=123456;")

Dim com As New OdbcCommand("select * from db1", con)

Dim adapter As New OdbcDataAdapter(com)

Dim ds As New DataSet()
          con.Open()
          adapter.Fill(ds, "MyTable")
          con.Close()
          GridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables(0)

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:26 PM
  • I have written a step by step blog on how to create a MySQL connection in Visual Studio at http://www.devblogging.com/2011/05/23/mysql-create-a-mysql-connection-in-visual-studios-server-explorer/  hope it helps!  Good luck.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:00 PM
  • I have written a step by step blog on how to create a MySQL connection in Visual Studio at http://www.devblogging.com/2011/05/23/mysql-create-a-mysql-connection-in-visual-studios-server-explorer/  hope it helps!  Good luck.
    Dear how to add connection using the serverExplorer is not the big deal the problem how to connect to MySQL data base from Windows Application and asp.net applications using ADO.NET and LINQ technologies

Omar Adnan Isaid http://omarpost.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:59 AM