none
problem about inferred images RRS feed

• Question

• i was using kinect V2.0 with kinect studio. i've selected the "inferred" layer in the settings to display the inferred image from the sensor. Oddly, i have found that the sensor can generate images with a clear black-white picture of what was printed as color-picture on a big cardboard box i was carrying. should infered work in this way? i am guessing kinect was not using inferred camara as the only source of it's inferred images but combined with the main color camara to do the trick. Am i right about this?
    • Edited by avatus Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:12 PM idea was not clearly described
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:07 PM

All replies

• I think you are talking about the infrared image coming from Kinect. Often people assume that infrared is showing the heath of objects, but the infrared that Kinect is using is not kind of infrared. The light that the Kinect emits and senses is in the near-infrared range. This is just outside of the visible light range, but different material reflect this light differently. This results in the color picture showing up in the infrared result.

kind regards,

Roland Smeenk

Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:38 PM
  • well,i think this explains a lot. if the sensor is not emitting inferred lights but some kind of lights working at near inferred frequency, which reflected differently by different material, this also explains why we can not get a stable joint point when people waer certain kind of clothes.Thanks for your reply

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:13 AM
  • IR emits its own light so room lighting does not interfere with depth results(Depth Frame is calculated from the IR Frame,check Infrared Frame here).

IR has various limitations with reflection and refraction, depending on what you do. If you wear highly reflective clothes, skeleton tracking won't work correctly and you show up as black spots.

If you put the sensor in front of a refractive glass and you haven't put the sensor directly on top of the glass to avoid refractive angles, then you'll see black spots in the Depth Frame.

Friday, September 9, 2016 12:41 PM