PC World's editor says Windows 8 could land with a big thud, be the next Windows Vista

General discussion

• Has anyone seen the November issue of PC World magazine?  On page 7, Editorial Director and VP says:

"So why do I I suspect that - despite its elegant and vibrant interfact, powerful feature set, and support for an array of new hardware - Windows 8 will land with a big thud...at least initially?  Because I'm not sure that the Windows faithful want their desktop OS to mimic their phones.  We've grown accostomed to the Windows user interface.  I could argue that Windows 7 succeeded because it fixed the mess that was Vista without changing the underlying desktop/mouse/keyboard interactions that people are comfortable with...

"If Microsoft expects users to upgrade so that they can substitute gestures for mouse clicks, tiles for icons; and smaller more agile apps for familiar, beefy applications, adoption could lag.

"Let's just hope that we aren't about to witness Windows Vista redux."

• Edited by I-DotNET Monday, December 12, 2011 2:56 PM Trim
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:56 PM

All replies

• I don't get the PCWorld magazine - I didn't even know that it was a printed publication until recently. While I agree with the assessment of the editor just based on the quote, I don't have the magazine itself? Is there a version of this on PCWorld's site?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I don't get the PCWorld magazine - I didn't even know that it was a printed publication until recently. While I agree with the assessment of the editor just based on the quote, I don't have the magazine itself? Is there a version of this on PCWorld's site?
    Here is a (seemingly different) online article from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245877/windows_8_four_big_concerns_based_on_what_we_know_so_far.html

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:25 PM

No, I don't think it's online.  If it is, I can't find it. 
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Here is a (seemingly different) online article from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245877/windows_8_four_big_concerns_based_on_what_we_know_so_far.html

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Yes, that's a different article.  (The one I quoted from above is in the November issue, page 7, written by VP and Editorial Director Steve Fox.)
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:30 PM
  • @I-DotNET

I did a search online with the quotes you used (including quotation marks), and the only result I found was this thread, meaning that the article is probably not online.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Yeah, I figured as much.  It looks like they do not publish this column (Techlog) on their web site.  They do have an electronic version, but it's only available to digital subscribers. 

However, according to this, if you happen to have a friend or colleague who's a digital subscriber, they can legally send you a free copy:

https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/PW/PCD/pcwdigital_faq.jsp?cds_page_id=10750&cds_mag_code=PCD&id=1323807350965&lsid=13471411515045541&vid=3#share

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I don't know anyone who's a digital subscriber. As I said before, I didn't even know there was a subscription/print edition until recently.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:26 PM