none
Multiple Fonts in a Style for Different Languages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a standard set of templates and styles which we use in our offices throughout the world. I would like to allow our offices to use our standard styles, but automatically change the font if the language requires it - so for example if the text language was Chinese then the font for the Normal style would switch to SimSun.

I can set an Asian Text Font in a style, but this doesn't go to the level I want, because different offices want require different fonts.

Is there anyway to allow a style to have multiple fonts depending on the language using native Word functionality, or do I have to resort to code to do this?

Any assistance will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

C

Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:27 AM

Answers

• The better place to ask the first part of your question would be the Word IT Pro forum on TechNet, since there are a lot of people who frequent that kind of group who never set foot in "programmer's land" (MSDN).

FWIW I'm pretty sure the answer is "No", you can't get a style to work with different fonts. Closest would be a Unicode font that supports all the characters the various languages use...

Another non-coded solution would be to create language-specific style sets and the users work with the style set for their language. Possibly, this could be done by creating one base style set, then the langauge specific styles sets differ only by the font, making things simpler to maintain.

Otherwise, if you go for a coded solution, try to create one or a few base styles that all the other styles inherit from. Then you need to change the font only for the base styles and it will "trickle down" to all the other styles.

All that said, it would probably still make sense to check in IT Pro because it's possible you could control this using the THEME settings. That sets defaults for various languages/scripts and if the styles pick up these setting defaults, rather than having specific fonts set, this could help tremendously. It's simply an area that I (and most other devs) don't work in regularly.

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:31 PM

All replies

• The better place to ask the first part of your question would be the Word IT Pro forum on TechNet, since there are a lot of people who frequent that kind of group who never set foot in "programmer's land" (MSDN).

FWIW I'm pretty sure the answer is "No", you can't get a style to work with different fonts. Closest would be a Unicode font that supports all the characters the various languages use...

Another non-coded solution would be to create language-specific style sets and the users work with the style set for their language. Possibly, this could be done by creating one base style set, then the langauge specific styles sets differ only by the font, making things simpler to maintain.

Otherwise, if you go for a coded solution, try to create one or a few base styles that all the other styles inherit from. Then you need to change the font only for the base styles and it will "trickle down" to all the other styles.

All that said, it would probably still make sense to check in IT Pro because it's possible you could control this using the THEME settings. That sets defaults for various languages/scripts and if the styles pick up these setting defaults, rather than having specific fonts set, this could help tremendously. It's simply an area that I (and most other devs) don't work in regularly.

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:31 PM
  • Thanks for your response Cindy,

I'll check in the Word IT Pro forum as you suggest so that I can be sure that there isn't a no-code solution available, but I think we will have to resort to code.

Cheers,

Craig

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:21 AM