"Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user" error message RRS feed

• Question

• I am calling sp_send_dbmail in a trigger.

However it is failing with a rather obscure error message which I can only think is security related.

The error message is:
    Invalid SQL statement: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'xxxxxx', error code 0xffff00002.;

The xxxx user is a sql server login and not a windows/AD login, so why is it attempting to see if the account exists?

Gold stars like McDonalds| http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html
    • Edited by adolf garlic Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:44 AM improved the title
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi

Please make sure verify whether the server is using Mixed Authentication mode in case of SQL Server logins.

In order to verify it,

Open SSMS and connect to server. Navigate to Server->Properties->Security-> Change the radio button from Windows Authentication to Mixed mode authentication.

(or)

Execute the following T-SQL in master database

EXEC xp_instance_regwrite N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'LoginMode', REG_DWORD, 2

Thanks
    Sreekar
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:16 AM
  • Server properties | Security | Server Authentication
    is set to
    SQL server and Windows authentication mode

So I guess it's not that

We've had a non windows auth account using this db for a long time without any problems, but it's just when we call sp_senddbmail that we get this error

The login has the user on the db, and the same username on msdb also added to the 'databaseMailUserRole'

It's almost as if it is trying to authenticate a sql account as though it were a windows auth account.

Gold stars like McDonalds| http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:21 AM