none
Git Workflow Advice Please

Question

• Hello

I am developing a project on my own and work from two locations, office and home. I have created an account on Visual Studio Team Services and configured my project to use the VS Team Services site as the Git Origin. My aim is to be able to finish what I am working on and publish/push my work to VS Team Services, when at the other location (on a different computer) be able to pull down the work and continue.

I'm sure it should be simple but each time I try and update the computer at either location I get confused. For example, last night at home I created a new Branch and did some work on the new Branch. I committed the work locally and then Published the new Branch. This morning in the office I can't figure out how to pull down the new Branch and continue to work on it.

Can anyone suggest a clear workflow for moving between the two locations and keeping up to date please?

Thank you.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris Molland,

According to your description, I think maybe forget to synchronized the project.

After change, when we commit the change, please choose commit and sync button, please refer to the following screenshot:

Then in other machine, when you need to get the latest version of you project, please click the Pull button (open the project before).

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Thanks Oscar

I have no problems committing and publishing, if it is a new branch, or pushing if it is an existing branch. What I have trouble with is synchronising to pull down new work. What should I do in the following scenario please: At work I create a new branch and perform several commits. I then publish the new branch and travel home. On my home computer I only see the existing branches, not the new one I made in the office. That makes sense, but how do I pull down all commits on all branches including new branches please?

Friday, January 27, 2017 10:38 AM
  • Hi Chris Molland,

>>On my home computer I only see the existing branches, not the new one I made in the office. 

Please open it in browser to see whether some projects have been synchronized successfully. If you could see the new branches, I think you could clone it in your own computer. And if you want to get the latest version on your own machine, you could pull down the project. 

But if you want to undo all commits, I think you need to undo all actions on VS and then re-push the project. 

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 02, 2017 12:45 PM