none
EWS : Add Meeting To Public Calendar And Set Organizer As The Public Calendar? RRS feed

• Question

• Problem:
    I need to generate a meeting in a public calander called  "PPR Calendar" and set the organizer/creator of the meeting as "PPR Calendar". 

Current Status:
    I've written a test application that does this EXCEPT it makes me as the organizer/creator. I have 2 sets of code working using EWS API 1.1 and Exchange Web Services Proxy Class. The code basically does a find on the public folder and then populates the meeting info and submits the request.

I read in another thread or forum that you can change the organizer of a calendar item using Exchange Web Services Proxy Class.
    I checked the properies of "PPR Calendar" and noticed it had email address "PPRCalendar@mycompany.com" associated with it. When I tried the method decribed in this post, I got this error: "The SMTP address has no mailbox associated with it."

Need Help:
    Is there something special I need to configure on this public calendar to allow me to programatically create a meeting and set the organizer as the public calendar ("PPR Calendar")? Or can you tell if there's some specific properties or methods I can use with EWS API 1.1 or Exchange Web Services Proxy Class to allow me to do this?

NOTE:
    According to a developer at our company this use to work in the old VB6.0 version of this application.

Thanks,
    Christopher

Monday, March 5, 2012 10:28 PM

Answers

• To create a Meeting via the conventional method you will need an Organizer that has a Mailbox (or if you going to change the Organizer the person your changing it to must be Mailbox Enabled). You can still save the Meeting to a public folder if you want to. If these Meeting objects are only for use within your application and you don't care about what happens in the rest of Exchange or don't except attendees to receive invitations just create a Dummy Mailbox to be the organizer.

If you do want these meeting objects to be used in conventional manner then

Generally you wouldn't want Attendees to modify a Meeting directly eg the changes should always go to the organizer for them to be approved. This avoids the problems if an Attendee decides to modify a meeting and not send updates to the other Attendees the appointment objects stored in the attendees calendar will not reflect the change (which might be critical if its a change in Time).

(Before you write any code i would suggest you step through what your trying to do in Outlook and see what happens when a user modifies an appointment in a public folder that has attendees etc).

Using a Conference or Resource Mailbox will mean you will get all the features such as FreeBusyTime, Suggested Time, Room Availability plus the ability for the Mailbox to AutoAccept etc. Non of this will work if you use a Public Calendar Folder.

You could create a Fake organizer using an ICal message but you would still need to use a Mailbox to accept the Ical message and this is really a bit of hack/workaround and processing updates etc is going to be a problem.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:22 AM

All replies

• A public folder can't be an organizer of Meeting it has to be a mailbox object which is what the error is telling you. There are a number of reasons you wouldn't want it to be anyway eg No FreeBusy, cant send updates or receive updates. You would be better using Resource and Meeting Room mailboxes which have a number advantages over a Public folder. Is there anything particular your trying to achieve through using a Public Folder ?

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:40 AM
  • The public calendar's meetings are generated by an application. We Don't want to show the user who is logged into the application as the organizer of the meeting. The meeting should show that it is organized by the application/system. This is why they wanted to show the calendar name "PPR Calendar" as the organizer.

Another requirment is that the users/attendees need to be able to manually update these meetings in the public calendar.

Is it possible to setup some Public Resource Calendar that will allow us to do this?

Also, we would like to avoid having the application login as a "Resource" to add the meetings. I think this is why they went with the public calendar.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:02 PM
  • To create a Meeting via the conventional method you will need an Organizer that has a Mailbox (or if you going to change the Organizer the person your changing it to must be Mailbox Enabled). You can still save the Meeting to a public folder if you want to. If these Meeting objects are only for use within your application and you don't care about what happens in the rest of Exchange or don't except attendees to receive invitations just create a Dummy Mailbox to be the organizer.

If you do want these meeting objects to be used in conventional manner then

Generally you wouldn't want Attendees to modify a Meeting directly eg the changes should always go to the organizer for them to be approved. This avoids the problems if an Attendee decides to modify a meeting and not send updates to the other Attendees the appointment objects stored in the attendees calendar will not reflect the change (which might be critical if its a change in Time).

(Before you write any code i would suggest you step through what your trying to do in Outlook and see what happens when a user modifies an appointment in a public folder that has attendees etc).

Using a Conference or Resource Mailbox will mean you will get all the features such as FreeBusyTime, Suggested Time, Room Availability plus the ability for the Mailbox to AutoAccept etc. Non of this will work if you use a Public Calendar Folder.

You could create a Fake organizer using an ICal message but you would still need to use a Mailbox to accept the Ical message and this is really a bit of hack/workaround and processing updates etc is going to be a problem.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Thanks for the information!
    Friday, March 9, 2012 7:28 PM