none
Add items to menu at run time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i have a txt file that is seperated by semi colons. I can parse it but i need to add each one to a menu list (menu list control).

How would i go about doing it

Thx

NOTE: i can do menustrip.items.add ("Item"), but that adds to top item not a sub menu

Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:28 AM

Answers

• Lets say your menustrip is menuStrip1 then you would say-

this.menuStrip1.Items.AddRange(new System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem[] {

this.fileToolStripMenuItem});//Top level menutoolstripItem which is called "File"

this.fileToolStripMenuItem.DropDownItems.AddRange(new System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem[] {

this.editToolStripMenuItem});//Below "File",add sub-item such as "Edit"

The idea is to add as many ToolStripItems to menustrip or adding more ToolStripItems to already added ToolStripItems to a menu.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 12:57 PM

All replies

• Lets say your menustrip is menuStrip1 then you would say-

this.menuStrip1.Items.AddRange(new System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem[] {

this.fileToolStripMenuItem});//Top level menutoolstripItem which is called "File"

this.fileToolStripMenuItem.DropDownItems.AddRange(new System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem[] {

this.editToolStripMenuItem});//Below "File",add sub-item such as "Edit"

The idea is to add as many ToolStripItems to menustrip or adding more ToolStripItems to already added ToolStripItems to a menu.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 12:57 PM
  • yea i got it working thx but i have another problem...

It loads paths from a file so the menu has

C:\MyProg.exe

C:\MyOtherProg.exe

how do i make it when i click on one it loads the program i have got

Private Sub ApplicationsToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ApplicationsToolStripMenuItem.Click

LoadProgram((Application.StartupPath + "\Programs\" + Me.ApplicationsToolStripMenuItem.DropDownItems.Item(0).ToString)

End Sub

but that just loads the item(0) of the menu. I need to to be whatever the user clicks on in the dropdown menu... so would i use ApplicationsToolStripMenuItem_Click??

Sunday, May 21, 2006 6:28 PM