none
Timeout errors when downloading files with nsoftware FTP adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings

We are getting random timeout errors when attempting to download files using the nsoftware BizTalk FTP Receive Adapter.  The receive location polls regularly and the error only occurs when there is nothing to download.  The error message differs depending on the timeout.  With a timeout of 240 seconds the error message is '550 Accept Timed Out'.  With a shorter timeout of 90 seconds the error message is simply 'Timeout'.

FTP Details:

Delete Mode=Never, File Mask = *.*, Transfer Mode = ASCII, Passive=Yes, SSL...=None, Firewall=None, Persistent Connection=No, Error Threshold = 5, Polling Interval=1800 (seconds), Timeout = 240/90 (seconds), Suspend On Error = No

Adapter Details:

/n software BizTalk Adapters V3

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Colin

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:05 AM

All replies

• I would suggest to set the Logging mode to Verbose and the Log type to File...

This way it will create a detailed log file of all actions, then check if you can find any more clues in the created log file.

Also contact /n Software for this matter, and provide them with the detailed log file...

I've done this myself before, and they are very helpful. And respond quite fast.

Kind regards, Mitch Vanhelden Blog: http://mitchvanhelden.blogspot.com

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:41 AM
  • verify the steps one more time.

http://www.nsoftware.com/kb/tutorials/biztalkftpadapter.aspx

Thanks, Raja MCTS BizTalk Server 2010, MCC If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Hi Mitch

Thank you for your response.

I did as suggested and set up verbose logging to a file (an excellent feature of the nsoftware adapter).  The log results were interesting...

1) With timeout set to 90 seconds a 'Timeout' error occurred right away (after connecting to the FTP server):

===== 07132012T104142
    Source: nsoftware BizTalk FTP Receive Adapter (3.8.4038.0)
    Source URI: FTP://.../*.*
    Message Type: Verbose
    Current Thread: 31
    PI Trail [INFO]: Connecting to FTP server.

===== 07132012T104312
    Message Type: Warning
    System.Exception: Error downloading FTP messages: Timeout. ---> nsoftware.core.ipb38c: Timeout. ---> nsoftware.core.ipb38c: Timeout.

... ... ...

2) With timeout set to 240 seconds an 'Accept timed out' error occurred quite a bit later after successfully establishing a connection (following a LIST *.* command):

... ... ...

===== 07132012T111349
    PI Trail [CLIENT]: PASV

===== 07132012T111349

PI Trail [SERVER]: 227 Entering Passive Mode (69,58,254,84,142,84)

===== 07132012T111349
    PI Trail [CLIENT]: LIST *.*

===== 07132012T111449
    PI Trail [SERVER]: 550 Accept timed out

... ... ...

After some web searching I found a few others with 'Accept timed out' errors after their programs sent an FTP LIST *.* command so I tried another alternative which was simply using the FTP adapter that comes with BizTalk 2010 as none of the added functionality in the nsoftware FTP adapter was being used anyways (I don't know why the nsoftware adapter was being used as I didn't develop the solution).

I haven't seen any timeout errors since.

Thanks again for your help.

Colin

Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:34 AM