none
Can I save the user data to the operating system disk of an Azure VM?

Question

• We are a small IT services company with five staff members. I have set up A0 server in Azure IaaS, installed Active Directory on it and we are using it to share our files. The A0 server comes with a 127GB Operating System disk, which I have re-partitioned in to a 50GB OS partition and a 77GB partition where I have put our files. We are using Azure Recovery Services VM Backup to back the server up every night. 

I understand that Microsoft normally expect you to buy additional storage for putting your data on, but the configuration that I have set up fits our needs. Is there any reason that I should not be saving data to the Operating System disk? 

(My plan is to roll out a similar solution for some of our small clients if this configuration is solid). 

Monday, March 21, 2016 5:22 PM

All replies

• You can, however it is definitely not recommended. I will consider C: (the OS disk) and D: (the temp disk) Microsoft owned.

For any data you own, the best practices is to allocate and attack a data disk, and redirect your application to store there. Then configure your backup and restore based on the disk accordingly.

He following will help you better understand the cost structure of Azure.

HTH.

• Proposed as answer by yung_chou Monday, March 21, 2016 5:37 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2016 5:37 PM
  • Hi there,

thanks for the response.

On another forum, describing the operating system storage, it is written

"The price per minute for an Azure virtual machine covers the processor/memory usage, but the actual storage for the virtual machine operating system, which is a VHD file, is charged at regular Azure BLOB storage rates"

I would have assumed that given that it is charged at regular Azure BLOB storage rates that it would be mine to do whatever I want with it. Has anybody used the OS disk alone for their VM operating system and data?

regards,

Jonny.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:22 AM