none
Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 and device deployment projects RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this belongs in another forum..  if it does, I apologize.

Background: The projects that I am trying to use are being used by another developer in VS2005.  He is leaving so I was taking over his code and need to install Visual Studio.  I tried VS2010 and found that VS2010 does not support device deployments any more.  I uninstalled and tried VS2008.  I got the error below.  Thinking that maybe it was not supported in 2008, I tried it with the same version he has (VS2005).   I am using WinXP.

Error: When opening a solution file, I receive the error "The project consists entirely of configurations that require support for platforms which are not installed on this machine. The project cannot be loaded."  This is a device deployment project.  I also get an error when trying to create a new project for a smart device.  (wants me to debug VS)

Any ideas on how I can pull in the solution (which is loading vddproj files and vccproj files).  I really don't care which version of visual studio I use.  I just want to be able to open the project and create the deployments for the devices.  

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:19 PM

All replies

• Your project is dependent on an SDK.  The SDK is probably specific to the system and OS that you are targetting.  You need to find that SDK (we don't know which SDK you are using) and install it on your PC.
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Friday, July 23, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding.  Thanks - I'll verify the original developers machine and ensure that I have everything installed.  Is there any log that states what it's looking for or what it is missing?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:25 PM
  • If you look at the .vcproj file in a text editor it lists the SDKs as <Platforms>

<Platforms>
      <Platform
       Name="My SDK Name"
      />
      <Platform
       Name="My Other SDK name"
      />
     </Platforms>

You could also look on the original developer's machine to find out what is installed.  Use the control panel Add or Remove Programs.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:41 PM