Cannot acquire developer license

Question

• Joel,

I have windows 8 pro installed as a clean upgrade from windows 7 ultimate with VS 2012 ultimate and I still get the developer's license error.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• The issue has been resolved. I was running  the virus scan program, Kaspersky Pure 2.0, and it was blocking the service from actually acquiring the license. Kaspersky Pure 2.0 comes with a firewall. I uninstalled the program and everything worked fine.

I didn't consider the firewall when trouble shooting this problem earlier. :)

If you re-install the program and the problem returns contact Kaspersky.

Also, check your windows firewall. You may need to turn that off too.

• Marked as answer by CoreyGlory Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:14 PM
    • Edited by CoreyGlory Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:41 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hey Corey.

The Moderator split your question into it's own thread. While the message may be similar to the other thread this is a different issue (different Windows and different Visual Studio build than the one with the bug in the other thread).  It will probably get better visibility in it's own thread.

Can you provide the exact details of the message that VS is giving you? In what country are you? Are you using the RTM build of Windows 8?

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Joel,

I am in the US using the Windows 8 pro RTM version and the error begins as follows.

I get a COM Surrogate error first.

Then the error stating that "We could not get a developer's license at this time." follows it.

Do you need anymore detail?

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:46 PM
  • The issue has been resolved. I was running  the virus scan program, Kaspersky Pure 2.0, and it was blocking the service from actually acquiring the license. Kaspersky Pure 2.0 comes with a firewall. I uninstalled the program and everything worked fine.

I didn't consider the firewall when trouble shooting this problem earlier. :)

If you re-install the program and the problem returns contact Kaspersky.

Also, check your windows firewall. You may need to turn that off too.

• Marked as answer by CoreyGlory Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:14 PM
    • Edited by CoreyGlory Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:41 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:14 PM