none
Run word add-in on word online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are currently developing an a word task-pane add-in that is supposed to target both word desktop and word online (which is possible according to this link).

Current application was initially created using VS (not NAPA) and is in TFS. This app is fully functional in the desktop environment. I have a concern and road block which is the following, how and what are the necessary steps we need to take in order to test the application on word online.

We need to do this test in order to ensure our application functions as expected and handles exception gracefully as we are using few API function that do not support word online before we submit the app to the app store via the seller dashboard.

UPDATE
    ----------

We figured out a way to test the application online using a sharepoint developer site based on this link directly via VS2013. However this seemed possible only for Excel and not Word. See the screen shots below detailing the difference in the properties of the Manifest file in VS2013,

Excel seems to support testing online:

Word doesn't seem to support testing online

Your help is much appreciated!

Regards,

Praneeth

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Word Add-ins are not supported for Online:

"You can get an add-in for Word from the Office Store. Office add-ins only work in the Word desktop app and are not available in Word Online." 

Source.

Please remember to mark your question as answered & Vote helpful
    Check my blog or follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 10:34 PM
  • Hi Roland,

Thank you for you prompt feedback. Based on your response Word add-ins are not supported by Word online, which i can accept as an answer for the time-being. However please find few concerns I have with regard to word online add-ins which I would need clarification from you or MS to resolve my doubts,

I notice that the Office.js API in MSDN details API sets that are supported by word online please refer the support details section screen cap extracted for the Document.getFileAsync(...) function,

Going further I also note that word online supports the adding of Word add-ins which partially loads at times. When it loads I can add add-ins like Wikipedia to word online. This seems to contradict the point when you say we cannot create word add-ins. If so what technology would the Wikipedia add-in be using?

Hence I would like to know your feedback to the following questions,

1. Why does the API documentation "indicate" support for word online add-ins if its not possible to have word online add-ins?
    2. Why does word online app have the ability (My Add-ins button) to add Add-ins?
    3. Most importantly: If this is a feature that is expected to be enrolled, is there a road-map or release plan that we as developers can expect to plan our deliverable? Or else is there any other means we can build an app similar to the apps shown in word online?

Your help on this is much appreciated as its trivial that if we are to use this new add-ins approach, such that we get to know this information to plan our marketing strategies accordingly and fallback appropriately based on how MS plans to release or support future versions for word online.

Regards,
    Praneeth

Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:05 AM
  • I must correct myself... 

Just tested, created an app, uploaded to an App Catalog, and it's available in both Word and Word Online (via Insert -> My Apps -> Organization).

I'll raise this to Microsoft.

/edit: See my blog post. TechNet is wrong.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Hi Roland,

Thank you for your clarification. I was utterly confused with this discrepancy in the documentation and the lack of guidance with available resources hence the doubts.

I was heading in the same direction as you have mentioned in the blog post but hit a road block of where to upload the manifest file to. As detailed in your blog post (which great insight for anyone who faced the issue I did), upon creating an AppCatalog Site Collection and uploading the manifest file under the Apps for Office category I was able to successfully load the app in word online! :)

Just before I let you rest on this. I do have a couple of more queries that I hope you could answer so I could close this thread off.

1. For the moment uploading the app manifest to an app catalog is fine where I can test the thanks to browser debugging. However is there a time-frame when MS will provide support for developing and testing Word Online apps natively via VS similar to how it supports Excel online?

2. Is the Office JS API supposed to mature over the next couple of releases and is it something MS is giving priority?

3. Provided I submit this app via the Seller Dashboard and gets approved by MS (hopefully), I'm assuming it will be listed in both office stores for word desktop and word online?

Your help and clarification is much appreciated!

Regards,
    Praneeth

Friday, August 7, 2015 4:24 AM
  • Hi Roland,

Would you be able to comment on the above?

Thanks and Regards,
    Praneeth

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:44 AM
  • 1 => Sorry, I don't know when this will happen. 

2 => Yes, this will mature over time, but I have no visibility about the timelines. 

3 => Yes, the app will be listed in both stores as far as I'm aware.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:24 AM
  • Hi Roland,

Would you be able to comment on the above?

Thanks and Regards,
    Praneeth

Sorry for the late response. Hope above was of help to you.

Also please check the Uservoice site for feature requests.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:28 AM
  • Thanks for all the support Roland! Much appreciated..

Regards,
    Praneeth

Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:18 PM
  • Hi Roland,

I must ask you, I've tried to upload my manifest to the App Catalog, but it still isn't available in word and Word Online.
    What have you done in order to make it available?

Also, did you have any problems with getFileAsync function? Everytime I try to run my task pane through Visual Studio, it holds in the getFileAsync Call, and I don't get anyother feedback, as the callback function is not called (please note this post I made to stackoverflow related to this matter. (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32078546/javascript-api-for-office-getfileasync-function-is-not-calling-callback)

I thank you in advance

Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Have you tested in Word Desktop as well?

Is your app catalog set up correctly? I tested in a demo Contoso tenant, and it worked fine there as you could read in my blog.

Regarding getFileAsync, I've used that once to grab the entire document and it worked fine. Have you tried the demo on MSDN?

Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:27 PM