Problem when trying to debug the minidump RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone. Long time follower, first time posting.

I finished a small WP app a couple of weeks ago and started noticing some crash reports. While trying to debug the minidump files I got this when trying to "debug with managed only":

Unable to managed debug this minidump. The matching version of mscorlib.dll could not be found on the Microsoft symbol server or on the symbol search path. Make sure the computer has internet access so the dll can be downloaded from Microsoft."

and this when trying to debug using "native only"

"Debugging information for 'TaskHost.exe' cannot be found or does not match. No matching binary found."

Any pointers? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:50 PM

Answers

• It's quite possible the version of Windows OS installed on the user's computer is different from the one that you might have, and therefore it has different versions of DLLs.  It's also possible these DLLs are patches or hotfixes or some odd version that Microsoft may not post binaries & symbols for.  In these cases you will have to find out the exact version of the DLL that you want to get symbols for, and look on Microsoft's site for a download of that to get that exact DLL and provide it to the debugger.

Now debugging with managed and debugging with native depends on your application - if it's written completely using managed languages such as C# you can use debug with managed only.  It won't fix the problem of the missing DLL though - you'll need to obtain it yourself.

Please follow-up here and let us know what the actual problem was and how you solved it - I'd certainly be curious.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:49 AM

All replies

• It's quite possible the version of Windows OS installed on the user's computer is different from the one that you might have, and therefore it has different versions of DLLs.  It's also possible these DLLs are patches or hotfixes or some odd version that Microsoft may not post binaries & symbols for.  In these cases you will have to find out the exact version of the DLL that you want to get symbols for, and look on Microsoft's site for a download of that to get that exact DLL and provide it to the debugger.

Now debugging with managed and debugging with native depends on your application - if it's written completely using managed languages such as C# you can use debug with managed only.  It won't fix the problem of the missing DLL though - you'll need to obtain it yourself.

Please follow-up here and let us know what the actual problem was and how you solved it - I'd certainly be curious.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:49 AM