why i can't running any tile application?

Question

• why i can't running any tile application like piano, zero gravity, tweet@rama, etc (that apps already added when i just finished windows developer preview). when i tap them, there's no respond. just pulled down and rise again) note: i didn't yet activated windows. but is it the main troublemaker?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:38 AM

Answers

• Neither PaintPlay or Alarms require Internet connectivity to function.

Did you check the screen resolution? Screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768
    Did you check to see if User Account Control is enabled? If is has been disabled, Metro Apps will not work.
    Go to Start page. Type in User Account Control and hit enter. Then click on Settings.
    Click on Change User Account Control settings.
    If you have the Slider Bar set to Never Notify, this disables User Account Control.

Let us know what you have tried so we can troubleshoot further.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by mdptyo Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:01 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:12 AM

All replies

• For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:52 AM
  • ok. i'll try . thanks a lot.

i can go in to metro apps, i can access word, excel, explorer, desktop and other software that i installed. but metro apps didn't work in mainly metro apps (tweet@rama, weather, stocks, etc)

by the way, are you have the same experience when you running windows developer preview in first time (apps not work)? i think tile apps not working because i not yet connected to internet. (tile apps downloaded separated in windows update) isn't it?

and i can't find where is the location of app tile programs files. 

• Edited by mdptyo Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:01 AM
  • You will need to connect to the internet for the Metro apps to work such as Weather, News, and Tweet@rama and Stocks.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:25 AM
  • and how about games ? or any other apps like paintplay, alarms, even opening internet explorer in metro apps shortcut is unavaiable.. i had reinstalling windows developer preview for twice but i still happen. and just now im connected to internet but they still not respond.

note: im installing windows developer x86 32bit 2.8 GB from USB flashdisk and make it with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Neither PaintPlay or Alarms require Internet connectivity to function.

Did you check the screen resolution? Screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768
    Did you check to see if User Account Control is enabled? If is has been disabled, Metro Apps will not work.
    Go to Start page. Type in User Account Control and hit enter. Then click on Settings.
    Click on Change User Account Control settings.
    If you have the Slider Bar set to Never Notify, this disables User Account Control.

Let us know what you have tried so we can troubleshoot further.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by mdptyo Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:01 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Also, please get all the updates, the recommended as well as the optional ones, even if you have to do so manually- Control Panel-System and Security-Windows Update-Check for Updates, even if it says 'Your PC is up to date.'
    Irfan
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Thank you so much, now i can running metro apps. FYI i just installing new graphic driver because it's running in 1024x600 pixel. lol !

but i think you must consider for better metro apps can running in any resolution. (at least  800x600) because i'm on pc tablet.  
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:04 PM
  • That's not true. I have my UAC shut off and metro apps still work for me.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:38 PM
  • What Metro apps are you talking about that work with User Account Control disabled

Please let us know.
    Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:36 PM