Power surge locked me out of Access 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• While I was adding information to a database at work, there was a small power surge that shut my computer down. When I restarted and attempted to open the database again, I was given this error message;

The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine '(my computer)' that prevents it from being opened or locked.

I tried setting all the permissions to allow, but no dice. I tried googling the problem but most of the solutions appear to be geared towards preventing the issue rather than fixing it. Is there any way I can remove this state?

I have Access 2016 on Windows <g class="gr_ gr_35 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="35" id="35">10,</g> and am the creator and admin of the file. I'm not exactly certain if the database is split or not (I'm not certain of the terminology) but there are a back and a front. The back is working just fine, but the front is not. Is there any way I can fix this?

• Edited by CAHayes Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:03 PM weird coding inserted by itself
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just a guess, but if you see a LACCDB file in the same folder as the FE, are you able to manually delete it?

Just a thought...

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for a quick reply!

I do see it, but I'm not able to delete it. Windows keeps telling me it's still in use by another program. However, I checked with everyone in the office and nobody has it open. 

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Okay, try right-clicking on the LACCDB file and then select Properties. Go to the Security tab and click the "Advanced" button. In the new window, go to the Owner tab. Does it show your name in the "Current owner" box? If not, try taking ownership of the file and then try to delete it again.

Hope it helps...

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:22 PM
  • Yeah, it already lists me as the owner.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Restart the box, the laccdb file will be free to delete.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:32 PM

Do you have Admin rights to the machine?

(just grasping at straws right now...)

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:33 PM

That didn't work either, but it's all right. I just copied the two databases to a new folder and they're working now. Thanks anyway!

• Proposed as answer by Chenchen Li Friday, December 8, 2017 1:35 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:54 PM

Do you have Admin rights to the machine?

(just grasping at straws right now...)

I do. But, see above. I found a solution that seems to be working for now. Thanks anyway!
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Congratulations! It was going to be my next suggestion. Honest...

Good luck with your project.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for a quick reply!

I do see it, but I'm not able to delete it. Windows keeps telling me it's still in use by another program. However, I checked with everyone in the office and nobody has it open. 

BTW, the Process Explorer utility is handy for identifying which process has a particular file open:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

If the database is on a network share you can use the Computer Management applet on the machine and look in the shared folders for open files.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:47 PM

That didn't work either, but it's all right. I just copied the two databases to a new folder and they're working now. Thanks anyway!

Hello,

I suggest you mark your post or helpful post as answer to close this thread as your issue has been resolved. 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 2:01 AM