VS2010, Toolbar, Macros. How to add icons to my macros. RRS feed

• Question

• I created custom toolbar with my macros. How to add images to my macros?

Regards

Dmitry Posudin

Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my understanding, you want to customize toolbar button images in Visual Studio 2010. If so, as far as I know, you can't customize it in VS 2010.

In VS 2005 and 2008 user is able to customize layout, content and position of toolbars and menu. In VS 2010 possibilities to customize IDE are limited.The customization experience in VS 2010 is not up to the same standard as with previous versions of Visual Studio. For more information, please check following feedback on our connect website:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=511327&wa=wsignin1.0

If I misunderstood you, or you have any comments, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Nancy Shao [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Dyma Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:22 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my understanding, you want to customize toolbar button images in Visual Studio 2010. If so, as far as I know, you can't customize it in VS 2010.

In VS 2005 and 2008 user is able to customize layout, content and position of toolbars and menu. In VS 2010 possibilities to customize IDE are limited.The customization experience in VS 2010 is not up to the same standard as with previous versions of Visual Studio. For more information, please check following feedback on our connect website:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=511327&wa=wsignin1.0

If I misunderstood you, or you have any comments, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Nancy Shao [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Dyma Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:22 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:27 AM
  • ... really?

Totally not impressed.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:56 PM
  • I wish there were "downvote" buttons for MSDN forums. Even with SP1 for VS 2010 Microsoft failed to deliver this parity. Is there any "working connect link" to vote for this bugfix/parity/feature/whatever?
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:09 PM
  • As the person that owns the command space in Visual Studio I feel I should respond, pardon for the lateness this is the first time I have seen this thread.

1: Is there a connect bug?  There is this one

2:  SP1 was, by and large, a bug fixing endeavor. The lack of image customization is not a bug, a bug is something that does the wrong thing unintentionally. Inability to customize icons was a very painful customization cut we had to make to ship on time given the very short time schedule we had and the lack of resourcing, it wasn't an accident or an oversight. I personally wish we could have presented a customization experience on parity with 2008, but the fact is all of the customization in 2008 we 'got for free' by using a UI framework developed way back by Office (by a team of developers, over multiple release cycles). This was all custom, Win32, owner-draw code, none of it was usable in WPF so the customization effort was a ground up rewrite, and WPF doesn't help terribly much in this space (note the lack of WPF applications that allow customization to any degree, let alone what we had in 2008, heck note the lack of ANY application offering as rich of customizability as VS did in 2008, even Office when they moved to the ribbon pared their customization story WAY back). Also parity is an argument that could be used to ask why we don't support VB6 or J# in 2010. It is an ideal to carry forward the functionality you already have, especially if it has low cost. When large scale rewrites of system components are done occasionally functionality is lost due to time/resourcing or deciding the given functionality wasn't useful enough to enough people to justify its cost.

3:  There are workarounds to some degree.

a:  You can export customizations from 2008 and import them into 2010. If you did heavy customization in 2008 I don't know why you would want to manually redo it all even if we supported 100% of the functionality of 2008, especially when Import is so much easier.

b:  You can use this extension (disclaimer: I wrote this, in my free time, to try and make up for this cut).

c:  You can write an extension, image replacement is possible through DTE (which is how the extension above does it).

This post wasn't intended to claim your complaints have no validity, just explain reality as it stands. Customization takebacks in 2010 are well known, initially the plan was to have 0 customization in 2010 (I know, that would have been ridiculous :)), but that created an outcry during the beta time period resulting in a DCR (Design Change Request) from someone very high level, or in other words a mandate to provide SOME customization. What we have in 2010 was the result of that very late change in plans, it isn't perfect but given the time we had and the complexity of the space I don't think it is terrible, certainly better than 'no customization' which honestly almost was the story in 2010.

Ryan

• Proposed as answer by Ed Toro Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:13 PM
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:59 PM