none
Creating a project in Team Foundation Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to move my project on to the Team Foundation Server to work with multiple Developers,
    I have read some articles about this before, but I got some questions:
    1- How do I move the project solution to the server correctly?
    2- The solution contains more than one project that goes back to one "Release" Folder, How do I build it in the Team Foundation Server ?, and building it returns a "bin" to everyone that has access to the solution, right ?
    3- As I tried it, I see that I should "Check-in" for any edit on my side in the project, so it doesn't support same-moment multi edit, right ?, otherwise, any other softwares that support this feature?

These question that I really wish to get an answer for, since I have not tried this before ...

Any help is appreciated.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:16 PM

Answers

• 1- How do I move the project solution to the server correctly?

Are you talking about how to move a solution with a project or projects into TFS?

The solution contains more than one project that goes back to one "Release" Folder, How do I build it in the Team Foundation Server ?, and building it returns a "bin" to everyone that has access to the solution, right ?

A Bin folder is created by Visual Studio when a someone or a developer compiles the solution on their workstation/development machine.

3- As I tried it, I see that I should "Check-in" for any edit on my side in the project, so it doesn't support same-moment multi edit, right ?, otherwise, any other softwares that support this feature?

TFS has a merge feature and knows the difference in the checked-in code base as opposed to code that is going to be checked into the checked-in code base. TFS will stop the check-in for the developer, because TFS see the difference in the code base against the code  trying to be check-in to the code base. The developer has to pick and choose what code is to be left as is in the code-base or what code the developer for the developer's code to be checked-in to the code base by the developer as the developer fits the code into the code base, the merge, or TFS figures out the merger of code itself and checks the code in automatically.

That's how all code repositories work with multiple developers working in the code-base for a solution where the code is checked-in and a merger of code with the current code base must be done against the code being checked-in.

• Marked as answer by Zuher Laith Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:03 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:31 AM

All replies

• 1- How do I move the project solution to the server correctly?

Are you talking about how to move a solution with a project or projects into TFS?

The solution contains more than one project that goes back to one "Release" Folder, How do I build it in the Team Foundation Server ?, and building it returns a "bin" to everyone that has access to the solution, right ?

A Bin folder is created by Visual Studio when a someone or a developer compiles the solution on their workstation/development machine.

TFS has a merge feature and knows the difference in the checked-in code base as opposed to code that is going to be checked into the checked-in code base. TFS will stop the check-in for the developer, because TFS see the difference in the code base against the code  trying to be check-in to the code base. The developer has to pick and choose what code is to be left as is in the code-base or what code the developer for the developer's code to be checked-in to the code base by the developer as the developer fits the code into the code base, the merge, or TFS figures out the merger of code itself and checks the code in automatically.

That's how all code repositories work with multiple developers working in the code-base for a solution where the code is checked-in and a merger of code with the current code base must be done against the code being checked-in.

• Marked as answer by Zuher Laith Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:03 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:31 AM
  • but still .. how do I really build it ?

this image shows my project that created before privately, then uploaded it directly to the source control.
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:31 PM
  • TFS is just a code repository that can be used by Visual Studio to control the changes to the source code base.

Taking TFS out of the picture, where would you go in Visual Studio to build/compile the solution that is siting  on your harddrive, keeping in mind the keyword Build here?

TFS's job is to take the code on your harddrive and check it into its repository. Now,  someone, another developer,  checks-in his or her changes to the code base into TFS's repository. The code base on your harddrive is now out of sync with the latest code base that is in TFS's repository.

How are you going to get the latest code base out of TFS to your machine's harddrive? It's called GetLatest where all the code for the solution or an individual file in brought down to harddrive, the workspace, where you can checkout code to the workspace and make changes to the code and then check the code back into TFS.

1) Figure out how to check the entire solution into TFS at the solution level not project level at first-time check-in to TFS for a solution.

2) You should be checking code into TFS at the solution level and not project level, by using TFS's Pending Changes.

3)Figure out what a TFS "workspace" is  and how to use it, which is an important part of TFS you have to understand.

4) Only check into TFS code that is compilable.

5) If the code is not compilble then learn how to use a TFS ShelveSet, Shelving the code.

This link may get you started in the right direction, if you can ignore the blatant popup screen that's in your face that you can't get around unless you take that jackass survey! :)

http://www.dotnettricks.com/learn/tfs

Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:12 PM

• I think I got it right now,
    Thank you for all the help, really appreciate it!

• Edited by Zuher Laith Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:27 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:27 PM