FlipView speed performance problem in windows 8.1 application

Question

• I'm creating Windows store application (target 8.1, WPF and C#) and I'm using FlipView control for navigation between pages with 24 pictures of some articles thumbnails. When I have small count of the pages, everything goes quite smooth and nice. But in the case of more pages sometimes it is lagging and it is not very comfortable for user.

There is a part of my FlipView declaration :

<FlipView Name="FlipView" ItemsSource="{Binding ArticlesPages}" VirtualizingStackPanel.VirtualizationMode="Recycling" SelectedIndex="{Binding SelectedPageIndex, Mode=TwoWay}">

One thing that should boost performance and rendering speed is VirtualizingStackPanel.VirtualizationMode but in my opinion it behaves similarly.

Do you have any idea how to boost FlipView performance? I tried it on tablet and on laptop with i5 processor and with big amount of RAM but it is still not what I want.

Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Jozef368,

As I can see from the documentation: Using virtualization with a list or grid, looks like you are using the VirtualizingStackPanel in a correct way, but I would like to know what's inside. Also IsVirtualizingProperty property could help you to determine whether virtualization is being used.

If you replace the default panel in an ItemsControl with a non-virtualizing panel, like VariableSizedWrapGrid or StackPanel, UI virtualization is disabled for that control.

However if you cannot find out the problem please share your project with us, we can analysis for you.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:54 AM