How do I get notified of new version released RRS feed

• Question

• I do not see any version number on IOT iso,

how do i know which version i am running and if it is latest ?

Also, how do i get notified if a new version is released ?

Also, wikipedia article lists version history for windows 10 desktop and mobile versions, there is no version history for windows 10 IOT core. is there any page listing the version history ?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:58 AM

Answers

• Microsoft has finally decided to display version number on their release notes page :)
    • Marked as answer by Tanmay Kanade Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

one possible way is to use PowerShell and type:

[environment]::OSVersion.Version

See: Technet Blog-Post

Kind regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:25 PM
  • I'm following @WindowsIoT on Twitter for announcements on new builds. There's also http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Downloads.htm

I'd hope we get something soon after desktop Windows 10 goes RTM (tomorrow) and the Windows 10 universal app project templates appear for Visual Studio 2015 RTM.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:06 PM
  • That was quick. A "public release" version has appeared already - download link as above. Not able to test it yet as I'm at work, but that sounds a bit like an RTM version to me.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:05 AM
  • i can see the difference in size, earlier it was 507mb and now it is 517mb.

So definitely it is a new version. However, no version number yet seen.

Neither in ISO, nor in release notes and nor on download page.

How MS could miss mentioning a version number ?

BTW I hope, this new version of FFU is flashable without pathing dll :) @TOBI what say ?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:31 AM
  • It is odd, isn't it. You'll have to install it and see. My guess is build 10240 along with the desktop version.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:35 AM
  • Remote onto the system via PowerShell and run the command: Get-CimInstance Win32_OperatingSystem

Latest version reports as:

SystemDirectory     Organization BuildNumber RegisteredUser SerialNumber Version
    ---------------     ------------ ----------- -------------- ------------ -------
    C:\windows\system32 Microsoft    10240       Microsoft                   10.0.10240

• Proposed as answer by keffs Friday, August 7, 2015 7:46 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 8:25 PM
  • Just another simple way to know the iot version.

We can see this by the DefaultApp on screen as follows:

Keep Fighting

Friday, August 7, 2015 12:34 AM
  • That is fair enough, we know the version on default screen.  However, we have to download and flash ISO to know version number, VERY BAD.

Isn't there any page where they post NOTIFICATION if there is new version? or can I know it from download page even before I download ISO.

I mean come on, how hard it is to put the version number on download page ? or atleast the latest release date ? :P

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Yes,

I agree with you.

We can see the release date of Preview version on IoT Preview Program: Windows Embedded Pre-Release Programs.

If you have msdn subscription, we can still see the publish date of ISO.

Keep Fighting

Saturday, August 8, 2015 12:28 AM
  • Yes,

I agree with you.

We can see the release date of Preview version on IoT Preview Program: Windows Embedded Pre-Release Programs.

If you have msdn subscription, we can still see the publish date of ISO.

Keep Fighting

As far as I know,

Windows IOT Core is far past from being labelled as "pre-release version". Moreover latest entry I see on that page is for date 5/12/2015 ???, we have many releases after that. I believe, information on that page is way out of date. So that page does not make any value addition.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Microsoft has finally decided to display version number on their release notes page :)
    • Marked as answer by Tanmay Kanade Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:31 PM
  • http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Downloads.htm

has always shown the version numbers.

The IoTCoreDefaultApp (shipped as the default application) has always shown the version number on the MainPage.

Versions 10240 & 10531.

riclh

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:36 PM
  • 10556 is now available. The usual links apply.

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Downloads.htm
    http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/ReleaseNotes.htm

Monday, October 19, 2015 6:25 PM