Access Web App (2016) - Updating Development instance RRS feed

• Question

• My goal is to update my development instance of an Access Web app, to contain production data. I want to confirm my plan, before I do it.

According to this article, I should be able to save the production environment as a new app, including all of the data. I can then deploy the “new app” package and have the ability to customize the app, as is it were a development instance of the application.  If I keep the names the same, and follow my version numbers …I should be ok … or hoping anyway.

Has anyone tried this before? What were the results?

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:48 PM

Answers

• As follow up to my question, I did get it to work.

1. I connected to the production app using access (modify the dev accdw file and use the production instance's URL)
    2. After connecting to the production instance, using access, I did a save as new app
    3. I deployed the new app on a new subsite of the development site
    4. From the 'new' development instance, I saved for deployment, using a version number greater than the production instance, and locked the app.
    5. I discovered that the product ID, in the appmanifest.xml, (inside the .app package (remane as .zip to open)) was different. So I modify the product ID attribute to match the production instance. now apply the new .app package to the production instance to upgrade.

The worst of this is needing to change the product ID each time I deploy an upgrade, but is not that big a deal. At least now I have a dev environment with populated tables and do not have to build quires in the dark.

*jg

• Marked as answer by jessevg Friday, December 30, 2016 4:03 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi jessevg,

>> My goal is to update my development instance of an Access Web app, to contain production data.

What do you mean by this? Where is your production data? Do you mean you have two Access web app, one is development and another is production environment? Do you want to contain data or anything else like form?

>> I can then deploy the “new app” package and have the ability to customize the app, as is it were a development instance of the application.

After you deploy the new app, you will not able to custom this app except upgrade this app. I am not sure what is your current requirement. If you want to contain data from production, I think you need to Save Access app as a new app in production Access web app. If you deploy a new app in development Access web app, I think it will only have data in development Access web app.

If you only want to insert data, I would suggest you try to make external connections to an Access web app and insert data to development Access web app.

# How to: Make external connections to an Access Web App

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/the_microsoft_access_support_team_blog/2014/03/24/how-to-make-external-connections-to-an-access-web-app/

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:09 AM
  • As follow up to my question, I did get it to work.

1. I connected to the production app using access (modify the dev accdw file and use the production instance's URL)
    2. After connecting to the production instance, using access, I did a save as new app
    3. I deployed the new app on a new subsite of the development site
    4. From the 'new' development instance, I saved for deployment, using a version number greater than the production instance, and locked the app.
    5. I discovered that the product ID, in the appmanifest.xml, (inside the .app package (remane as .zip to open)) was different. So I modify the product ID attribute to match the production instance. now apply the new .app package to the production instance to upgrade.

The worst of this is needing to change the product ID each time I deploy an upgrade, but is not that big a deal. At least now I have a dev environment with populated tables and do not have to build quires in the dark.

*jg

• Marked as answer by jessevg Friday, December 30, 2016 4:03 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 4:02 PM