Include inheritable permissions greyed RRS feed

• Question

• I need to give different users different permissions on a folder in Vista. So I right click the folders and choose properties  I go to the Security tab, select a group, and choose Advanced.  The Advanced Security Setting for Common Files comes up.  But the box Include Inheritable permissions from this object's parents is grayed out.  It is also unchecked but if I go back to the Common Files Properties box, select a user group, and hit Edit then the Permissions for users is grayed out too. 
    What causes these things to be gray?
    Thanks
    Charles
    Friday, June 29, 2007 10:40 PM

All replies

• It's grayed out when you don't have the permission to change it (i.e. you don't have WRITE_DAC).

Regards

Eric

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:50 PM
  •  

I have the same problem but only from a VISTA box on data that is on my file server.  I'm logged into Vista as a Domain user that is in a 'admin' group that has FULL permissions on the topmost folder.  The folder structure down there are various files and folders that have inheritable checked or unchecked, but all are set with the 'Admin' group as full permission.

I can click Add/Remove on either the standard or Advanced NTFS permissions tabs and succesfully add/remove users and groups, assign granular permissions on the standard pane, but I cannot check or uncheck the 'inherit' checkbox on the advanced tab.

On a Windows XP system logged in as the same domain account, I can check/uncheck this box on the various folders/files.  Is this a known glitch in Vista when dealing with NTFS on a Win2K3R2 server via mapped drive?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:52 PM
  • So you're logged on as the same user on XP or Vista, connected to the same share as that user (i.e. no alternate credentials are used or stored), and the ACL editor behaves differently on each platform?

Note that it only matters if you're an admin on the machine hosting the share (whether you're an admin on either client is irrelevant).

Regards

Eric

Friday, December 5, 2008 11:11 PM