Customize Blog site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm absolutely new to SharePoint 2010, I'm trying to setup a test site for my company for wikis and blogs.

I've setup a site and within it I create a blog site.  When I look at the urls of my parent site and the blog it's as follows:

http://servername/sites/foosptest/SitePages/Home.aspx

http://servername/sites/foosptest/sablogs/default.aspx

I did minor customization to my parent site like change the left quick launch background color and menu items link color.

Questions:

1. Do blogs ALWAYS get their own master pages? Because when I created the blog it's whatever was the default (out of the box) SharePoint colors i.e. blue
    2. Do I have to modify the blog master page quick launch navigation to match my parent quick launch?
    3. Is this the general practice or what's the best way to do this?

Any help or pointers to the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

ml99

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you create a new blog site, it will use the default  master page. If you want to change the master page for the blog site, you need to first activate the publishing feature for the site. Then click Site Actions>Site Settings. The Master Page settings will be listed under Look and Feel.

If you only want to change the quick launch background color, you can change the theme for the site, then set the sub site to inherit from parent site. You don’t need to modify the master page.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:06 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Hi

I agree with Entan

Never change corev4.css, because it's possible in time , your changes will be overwrite by product updates

So, every customizations using css, should be done with in separate css file. This/these files should be loaded after corev4.css

http://blog.drisgill.com/2009/11/sp2010-branding-tip-3-getting-your-css.html

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you create a new blog site, it will use the default  master page. If you want to change the master page for the blog site, you need to first activate the publishing feature for the site. Then click Site Actions>Site Settings. The Master Page settings will be listed under Look and Feel.

If you only want to change the quick launch background color, you can change the theme for the site, then set the sub site to inherit from parent site. You don’t need to modify the master page.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:52 AM
  • It's worth remembering if you're using SharePoint Foundation you wont be able to enabling publishing so you'll have to set the masterpage for the blog site manually.  This can be done by SharePoint Designer or you can install the SharePoint 1010 Master Page Picker from codeplex.

Paul Turner http://www.askPT.co.uk Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Thanks so much to both for the prompt reply! Really appreciate it.

I tried what Entan suggested about changing the theme and then inheriting from parent site on a brand due test site and it works.

However, on my first test site it did not work.  This is what I did on my first test site. 

• Copied the master page, renamed and applied to my parent site. 
    • I did change the corev4.css directly to customize the quick launch. 
    • Turned on Publishing feature, then created a new blog, set it to inherit from parent site but nothing happened.

What am i doing wrong?  I should not change corev4.css directly?  What if I don't want to use the defined themes in SharePoint, then what's the best way to do this?

Thank you once again.

ml99

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hi

I agree with Entan

Never change corev4.css, because it's possible in time , your changes will be overwrite by product updates

So, every customizations using css, should be done with in separate css file. This/these files should be loaded after corev4.css

http://blog.drisgill.com/2009/11/sp2010-branding-tip-3-getting-your-css.html

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:23 PM