Disable VSS Importing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

Is there an easy way to disable the VSS importing function on a TFS server? Our server supports a wide range of dev teams. When someone decides to do a VSS Import job, it kills the server. (processor goes to 100% and stays there until the VSS import is done which can take a half a day or longer)

If there is a workaround for this, let me know.

Thanks much,

- Matt

Monday, August 6, 2007 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hello Matt,

Do you mean migrating projects from Visual SourceSafe to Team Foundation source control?

If so as I know there is no such a feature.

A user must be a member of the Team Foundation Administrators group for migrating VSS projects.

A member of the Team Foundation Administrators group certainly has all permission.

If there is a disable VSS importing feature. A server administrator should have the permission to enable VSS importing. 

If the VSS importing cannot be re - enabled even by a server admin there will a problem when someone wants to enable it.

Maybe you can restrict the server admin permission to fewer users.

Hope this helps. 

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Matt,

Do you mean migrating projects from Visual SourceSafe to Team Foundation source control?

If so as I know there is no such a feature.

A user must be a member of the Team Foundation Administrators group for migrating VSS projects.

A member of the Team Foundation Administrators group certainly has all permission.

If there is a disable VSS importing feature. A server administrator should have the permission to enable VSS importing. 

If the VSS importing cannot be re - enabled even by a server admin there will a problem when someone wants to enable it.

Maybe you can restrict the server admin permission to fewer users.

Hope this helps. 

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:34 AM
  • Yes, that's what I meant. We have a lot of teams that are on VSS but are migrating to TFS. We do restrict the admin group quite heavily - I guess better communication to those admins is necessary. I was looking for a simple toggle  - allow VSS importing or not but it doesn't sound like this functionality is there. (thought I would ask)

Thanks,

-Matt

Thursday, August 9, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Hello Matt,

Thank you. If you have any question you can post it freely.

Well come to Team Foundation Server forum

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:07 AM