none
Access Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel in VS Express Version possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I try to learn the ropes of interop and in the msdn documentation I came accross the Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel Namespace. So I started to read about it and it looks gorgeous. Then I tried to reference the assembley and couldnt find it. Apparentely it is possible to download the Office Developer Tools in Visual Studio but there I couldnt find anything either.

My installation is VisualStudio Express 2012 and .NET Framework 4.5. Is it even possible to use the tools mentioned above with my installation?

Thanks!

• Moved by CoolDadTx Friday, August 1, 2014 3:50 PM Office related
    Friday, August 1, 2014 2:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

VSTO doesn't support the Express edition of Visual Studio. You need to install any paid edition if you want to develop VSTO based add-ins. What exactly do you need to develop?

Anyway, you may find the How to automate Microsoft Excel from Microsoft Visual C#.NET article helpful.

• Marked as answer by Ruediger007 Saturday, August 2, 2014 12:22 PM
    Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:16 AM
  • An alternative to VSTO for making Excel add-in is to use the Excel-DNA library (which I develop).

Excel-DNA allows you to make complete Excel add-ins, including UDF worksheet functions, ribbon customization and real-time RTD data feeds.

To get started with Excel-DNA you only need the Express edition of Visual Studio. From there, you

1. Create a new Class Library project

2. Install the "Excel-DNA" package from the NuGet package manager

3. Copy some code to define your UDF function from the Readme file

4. Press F5 to run in Excel.

To get access to the Excel Interop assemblies, you can also add install "Excel-DNA.Interop" NuGet package. This gives you (early-bound) access to the full Excel COM object model.

Best of all, you need no installer or admin registration to install an Excel-DNA add-in. You just copy a proper single-file .xll Excel add-in.

Excel-DNA is open-source and free for all use. Find the project on CodePlex, and ask questions on the Google group.

-Govert

Excel-DNA - Free and easy .NET for Excel

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:14 PM