How to invoke a workflow when a new page is created in Pages Library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need help in creating a workflow invoke when new page is created in Pages Library.

Can SharePoint Designer 2007 able to do this?

My requirement as follow:

1) Before 1pm, creation of new page will invoke the multi level approval workflow and send email.

e.g: Sender -> Approval A approved and escalate to Approval B, if Approval B approved, the document publish, if rejected revert back to Approval A again.

2) After 1pm, creation of new page will invoke the multi level approval workflow and send email,

The mechanism work exactly as above, except when Sender create a new page, a pop up windows will appear for Sender to check on CheckBox.

Appreciate if you could help me giving suggestion on the matter above.

Thank you.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:54 AM wf questions go to the wf forum. You should edit your title which is not indicative of the problem you are having (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:52 PM Title completely re-written. Original title of "SharePoint Designer 2007 WorkFlow " was not helpful for a question posted to the SharePoint - Workflow forum
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I need help in creating a workflow invoke when new page is created in Pages Library.

Can SharePoint Designer 2007 able to do this?

My requirement as follow:

1) Before 1pm, creation of new page will invoke the multi level approval workflow and send email.

e.g: Sender -> Approval A approved and escalate to Approval B, if Approval B approved, the document publish, if rejected revert back to Approval A again.

2) After 1pm, creation of new page will invoke the multi level approval workflow and send email,

The mechanism work exactly as above, except when Sender create a new page, a pop up windows will appear for Sender to check on CheckBox.

Appreciate if you could help me giving suggestion on the matter above.

Thank you.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 18, 2011 7:32 AM Do NOT write Help in Titles. Of course you need help that is why you are posting to the forums. Original title didn't in any case give the problem
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:55 PM Two identical threads from the same poster. Merged because both have replies.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

I think this will work with SP Designer 2007. You can add the workflow to the specified Webpart Pages Library, check the current time and "collect feedback" in Approval A and B. You can use variables in the workflow to store the information (approved or not) in the workflow.

The only thing I am not sure about is the publishing of your page. If it doesn't work to create and publish the pages in one library, you may have to create two libraries with different permissions for the user: Users create new pages in the first library, but do not have read permission, only the approvers do. At the end of the workflow, you copy the pages to the "publishing library", where the users do have read permissions.

Michael

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, you asked whether you can customize the workflow in the SharePoint designer. Yes, you can. Please followed the below steps:

In the SharePoint designer-> file->new workflow-> input the workflow name and choose what SharePoint list should this workflow be attached to->select automatically start this workflow when a new item is created-> next-> in the conditions, choose created in a specific date span-> choose the date to the time that you want to set-> actions: send an email-> add ‘else if’ condition branch-> set the time after 1 PM-> actions: select check in item.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, March 21, 2011 2:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by sams371 Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:58 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for sharing, regarding the pop up windows, how do do integrate together with workflow? 
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

Do not create two different threads for the same query.

Regards

Ginni - Microsoft Community Contributor

[My SharePoint Blog]

Friday, March 18, 2011 10:23 AM
  • You will need to create a calculated column to help determine if the creation time is past 1PM.

Use this formula:
    =([Column1]-INT([Column1]))*24

This formula will give you the number of hours past 12:00 AM, so in your case, you would need the workflow to check your calculated column for a value greater than 13.

I'm not sure what you are describing in your second condition with a pop-up window. Can you elaborate on that?

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, March 21, 2011 2:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by sams371 Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:58 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Ginni,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused, I'll not repeat the action again.

Nelson

Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:08 PM
  • > Do not create two different threads for the same query.

Correct.

But next time please also give the URL of the duplicate thread so I can delete it quickly.

P.S. No need to do that for this one. I found it easily as I had changed both Titles to almost the same thing.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:53 PM
  • I wanted to create a workflow in such a way similar with SharePoint default Approval Workflow,

which the assigned user can see "Approve" and "Reject" buttons on top of the page,

Can the similar implementation be done in SharePoint Designer 2007 workflow?

Besides, I created 2 Default Approval workflow (with different Approvers),

I not allow "Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item" apply in 2 Default Approval workflow.

Because if certain condition meet, I wanted to have a sequential workflow escalate to Approval A then Approval B,

else skip Approval A escalate to Approval B

Appreciate if you could help me in this problem, Thanks.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:55 PM