Inserting values into database when the values are calculated using if statements RRS feed

• Question

• User1277740678 posted

Hi all,

I declare a variable with an if statement like so

if(bulkDDL.SelectedIndex != 0)

{ int bulkID = Convert.ToInt32(bulkDDL.SelectedItem.Value); }
    else

{ string bulkID = string.Empty; }

But when I try to insert my values into an sql database I get the following error

The name bulkID does not exist in the current context. 

Are there any easy work arounds that don't use a case by case basis like

if ()

then bulk id = value

ProductTestingTableAdapter productTestAdapter = new ProductTestingTableAdapter();

productTestAdapter.Insert(productCategoryID, skuID, bulkID, state, FaultCategoryID, FaultDescriptionID, comments, startTime, endTime, user);

else if

{}

else if{}

Because then I'd have about ten else if statements, as several of my values are calculated with if statements.

Preferably something simple that I can easily understand. Only started c# this Tuesday and a lot of the solutions I see her are too complicated for me to grasp. 

Thanks in advance

Sunday, July 2, 2017 6:19 PM

Answers

• User-1716253493 posted

Maybe you can pass nullable int to the adapter that allow null value

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms233762.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://www.dotnetperls.com/nullable-int

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 3, 2017 2:55 AM
  • User-1838255255 posted

Hi Kvetch,

According to your description, as far as I know, you declare the bulkID inside if statement, so it is a local variable, so you can not use it out of if statement. So you could declare the bulkID as the global variable, then use it in insert command.

Sample Code:

<asp:DropDownList ID="bulkDDL" AutoPostBack="true" runat="server" OnSelectedIndexChanged="bulkDDL_SelectedIndexChanged">
                    <asp:ListItem>111</asp:ListItem>
                    <asp:ListItem>222</asp:ListItem>
                    <asp:ListItem>333</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>
    protected void bulkDDL_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e) { int bulkID; if (bulkDDL.SelectedIndex != 0) { bulkID = Convert.ToInt32(bulkDDL.SelectedItem.Value); } else { bulkID = Convert.ToInt32(string.Empty); } Response.Write(bulkID);
    // write your insert command }

Best Regards,

Eric Du

Monday, July 3, 2017 3:06 AM

All replies

• User-1716253493 posted

Maybe you can pass nullable int to the adapter that allow null value

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms233762.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://www.dotnetperls.com/nullable-int

Monday, July 3, 2017 2:55 AM
  • User-1838255255 posted

Hi Kvetch,

According to your description, as far as I know, you declare the bulkID inside if statement, so it is a local variable, so you can not use it out of if statement. So you could declare the bulkID as the global variable, then use it in insert command.

Sample Code:

<asp:DropDownList ID="bulkDDL" AutoPostBack="true" runat="server" OnSelectedIndexChanged="bulkDDL_SelectedIndexChanged">
                    <asp:ListItem>111</asp:ListItem>
                    <asp:ListItem>222</asp:ListItem>
                    <asp:ListItem>333</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>
    protected void bulkDDL_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e) { int bulkID; if (bulkDDL.SelectedIndex != 0) { bulkID = Convert.ToInt32(bulkDDL.SelectedItem.Value); } else { bulkID = Convert.ToInt32(string.Empty); } Response.Write(bulkID);
    // write your insert command }

Best Regards,

Eric Du

Monday, July 3, 2017 3:06 AM
  • User1277740678 posted

Haven't tried these out because I ended up having to do it on a case by case basis anyway due to personalised error messages for each case. 

But I think a combination of both would work, because I actually wanted null, not string.empty. 

Thought they were the same thing but they aren't. 

Thanks to the both of you. 

Monday, July 3, 2017 8:51 AM