How to Dual-Boot Windows 8 developer preview with Windows 7?

Question

• I have a laptop currently running Windows 7 SP1. I'm desperate to try out windows 8 but would like to have my windows 7 partition in case, some things don't function properly on the beta. So it is possible to dual boot my currently win7 partition with windows 8 dev preview?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:08 AM

Answers

• I did exactly as you describe in your article but on rebooting I do not get a graphical bootloader with the option to select windows 7. It just boots straight into windows 8.

Anyone.???.

Same problem. I installed Windows 8 on a secondary drive and have no graphical bootloader. It simply boots straight into Windows 8. Hitting F8 brings up additional options, but no boot options. The only way I can boot into Windows 7 is by going into BIOS and doing an override into my Disk 1. If I change the boot settings to boot to that first, it just reverts and goes back to Disk 0 as the default.

My Disk 0 has three partitions (Windows 8 being one of them, plus others with just files).

My Disk 1 has the ASUS recovery partition, my Windows 7 OS partition, and another data partition.

Running i7 with 8GB RAM if that matters; Windows 7 Home Premium.

The same thing was happening with me but fixed it now. If you have installed properly by creating a new partition and still can't see the graphical boot loader, just do the following:

1. Boot from a Windows 7(not 8!) boot DVD/USB.
    2. After initial loading, select Repair your computer.
    3. Select Startup repair.
    4. It will reboot and you should see Windows 7 as an option in the Windows 8 bootloader now.

Hope this helps. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:00 PM
  • I just installed Win8 x64 on a Win7 x64 system and have dual-boot capability. To make this happen, you need to enable Win 7 as the first boot OS. Control Panel/System/Advanced Systems Settings/Advanced/ Startup and Recovery. Do this while in Win8.

As in all dual-boot situations, I created a new hard drive partition for Win8, which I did by shrinking/partitioning the existing Win7 drive using Computer Management. I did this before doing the Win8 install.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:31 PM
  • @aditya675 Yes, that is what I did.  To do this, go into Disk Management and Shrink the partition you want to make room on.  After you decide the new volume size.  You can then restart with the install DVD and then create a partition out of the new non-partitioned space and install on that.  

After you install, the Windows 8 boot loader will replace the Windows 7 loader and the Windows 7 install will display below the Windows Developer Preview.

Let me know if you need more help.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:05 AM
  • If you are running an edition which has the feature of booting from vhd, you might be able to install Windows 8 directly into VHD and have a dual boot system without the need of physically divide it into several partitions.

http://www.windows7update.com/Install-Windows-7-directly-to-a-Virtual-Hard-disk-vhd.html

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:29 AM

All replies

• There's only one way to find out...  And please let me know what you find out about dual booting so I can do the same.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:49 AM
  • I set up a partition, and ran setup, but there is no option in setup for installation path. If I decompress iso to partitioned drive will it default install to that drive??? Pls help meeee!!!

truckeemike@live.com

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:37 AM
  • To setup a dual boot system, you should be able to perform a boot from media install or run setup from the sources folder instead of the root of the media. This should allow you to choose which disk to install the OS onto.

Bobby

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:41 AM
    Answerer
  • I made the mistake of installing from the setup.exe in the root.  I kept waiting for drive selection, and it never showed up.  I'm restoring from backup right now after losing Windows 7.

Windows Home Server FTW!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:49 AM
  • If you are running an edition which has the feature of booting from vhd, you might be able to install Windows 8 directly into VHD and have a dual boot system without the need of physically divide it into several partitions.

http://www.windows7update.com/Install-Windows-7-directly-to-a-Virtual-Hard-disk-vhd.html

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:29 AM
  • I shrank my primary volume (Computer Management/Storage) and then booted from media (you need a dual-layer DVD or a USB key greater than 4.7 GB to do so). Windows 8 then gave me the option to create a primary partition and install to it alongside Win7.

On a side note... graphical boot loader! Woo!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:32 AM
  • @aditya675 Yes, that is what I did.  To do this, go into Disk Management and Shrink the partition you want to make room on.  After you decide the new volume size.  You can then restart with the install DVD and then create a partition out of the new non-partitioned space and install on that.  

After you install, the Windows 8 boot loader will replace the Windows 7 loader and the Windows 7 install will display below the Windows Developer Preview.

Let me know if you need more help.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:05 AM
  • I've already installed the Windows 8 developer preview.  Anyway to get back to my Windows 7 configurations?  As it stands, I can't access anything other then what's in the preview build.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:53 AM
  • If you didn't format the drive, you should see two choices in your boot loader.  Do you see a boot loader?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:54 AM
  • i can't even install it. when booting up my DVD drive, i click install now and get an error about device drivers. i can search my hard drive so i know it's recognizing that but i'm not sure what driver it's referring to and unable to bypass it to install to my empty partition. 

havent been able to find any information about it as well. hp pavillion g7 if it helps. thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Um... not sure.  Where is it?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:01 AM
  • @ ceasetopanic

Did you mean, you shrink the new volume, then you burn the iso on a DVD, then you configure BIOS to start with DVD, then you can install W8 on the new volume and the start up will give you the choice to start with 7 or 8?!

Does it work this way, for sure?

1 hour later...

Ok, i confirm that it works that way, just precise that you should should advanced customisation and not update...

For me it doesnot seems to work that great...:(

• Edited by bretontao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:13 PM
  •  

Okay, so here's the thing. I successfully installed Windows 8 Developer Preview alongside Windows 7, on a third partition on the same HDD.

1) Graphical bootloader

-  Very nice! Although I find it a little bit annoying. This graphical bootloader is actually inside the Widows 8 Environment itself. That means to say, it boots up Windows 8 partially, which then shows you the available Operating Systems. However, when I select Windows 7, the machine restarts, leaving only the lights of my laptop. Windows 7 is then started. As for me, the nice graphical bootloader can be implemented in the Beta version, but if it should slow down the boot-up of other operating systems, then I'm out.

EDIT: In order to bring back the original Windows 7 Bootloader (which is truly much faster than the graphical bootloader), all you have to do is set the Windows 7 as the default Operating System to start from the Windows 8 Bootloader. After a restart, Windows 7 Bootloader will be present instead of the graphical bootloader. HOWEVER, you may not be able to bring back the graphical bootloader unless you make some changes the hard way.

Thanks to those who have suggested this.

2) Dual Boot - Time Sync

-  After exploring Windows 8 for quite a while, I booted up Windows 7. However, I realized that a bizarre thing happened unto my clock. It was out of time. So I tried to sync it up through the Microsoft Server, but always an ERROR.

*  I do recall that this happened before when I successfully installed MacOS in my laptop.

EDIT: Time was now synchronized with the time server. However, If I synchronize it again, error comes up.

EDIT 2: Time can now be successfully synchronized. It was just a matter of internet connection problem, perhaps.

3) Partition Missing

-  I have 3 partitions in my HDD, one is my Windows 7 Installation, the Windows 8 Installation, and my Data. All partitions are visible in Windows 7, However, only two of which, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Partitions, are visible in the Windows 8 Environment. Quite weird though. Anyone knows what's happening?

*  On a side note: The Disk Management Console in Windows 8 was able to see the Data Partition. but I cannot see it in My Computer.

I do recall that the Data Partition is located to the Left of the Windows 8 Partition, and to the Right of the Windows 7 Partition. So this is how it is ordered:  Windows 7 Part --> Data Part --> Windows 8 Part. Perhaps this is the cause of the missing partition?

EDIT: This is fixed by assigning a Drive Letter to the missing partition that is visible in the Disk Management Console.

Thanks to those who have suggested this.

4) Totally Lost

- I can consider myself somehow a geek when it comes to windows. However, the Metro Look seems to target only the Tablets and Smartphones. In this release, PC elders have to navigate their way through the PC Desktop. And even when inside that old desktop, pressing start would again bring you back to the Metro UI. Seems to be a hassle for me, especially that my laptop does not include a touch interface.

* The problem is Exiting Apps in the Metro interface. I have to exit the apps through task manager by myself. So much hassle. I am not really familiar with the Windows Phone 7 Interface, and I can't seem to figure out Mouse clicks to exit those apps. So, anyone knows how to exit those tiles of apps with the use of a mouse?

Overall, I'm not really sure how to navigate through this new interface.

FURTHER OBSERVATIONS:

5) Registry Editor, CMD, Disk Management Console, etc.

- These system32 processes can directly be started from the explorer address bar. Just type in regedit (for Registry Editor), cmd (for DOS Command Window), diskmgmt (for Disk Management Console), and etc. You don't need the RUN Window anymore (or the Start Menu search bar, for Windows 7 Users) in order to access these processes.

6) MKV (and Codecs)

- Although I understand that this 'Developer Preview' is actually for developers, and not for beta-testers; I still did notice that MKV Native Support is missing from this build. I just hope that Microsoft would implement MKV support in Windows 8 soon, and also implement native codecs for MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), DTS (and its varieties), DD (and its varieties).

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:24 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:32:38 +0000, Aaron M. Hawryluk wrote:

you need a dual-layer DVD or a USB key greater than 4.7 GB to do so

Only if you're installing the version with the SDK/Dev tools included. The
    rest of them will fit onto a single layer DVD.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    To be, or not to be, those are the parameters.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:34 PM
  • I did mine already last night and was able to boot. I will test office apps tonight. I would however like to know about the live syncing and how to show the different pics from different cloud accounts.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:00 PM
  • For 3 you probably just need to assign it a drive letter under Windows 8, it doesn't generally do this automatically because it may not be aware of how the partition is used under other OS's etc. Just right-click the partition and you should be able to assign it a drive letter and then it'll appear in 'My Computer' etc.

I've always found manually updating the time to be prone to giving errors, even when it does actually up date the time.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:53 PM
  • 3) Partition Missing

-  I have 3 partitions in my HDD, one is my Windows 7 Installation, the Windows 8 Installation, and my Data. All partitions are visible in Windows 7, However, only two of which, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Partitions, are visible in the Windows 8 Environment. Quite weird though. Anyone knows what's happening?

*  On a side note: The Disk Management Console in Windows 8 was able to see the Data Partition. but I cannot see it in My Computer.

Have you tried to manually assign a letter to the Data partition in the Windows 8's Disk Management Console?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:02 PM
  • You cannot create a dual boot:

"...You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media...."

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Digidelta
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I did the same thing as Serc, I shrank my partition, installed windows 8 to the small partition.  Now the issue I have is that I can't get win 7 boot to work anymore.  it gets to "Starting Windows" but it freezes there.  I'm kinda worried as that shouldn't have been messed with.  

One other issue I had was that the screen brightness on my laptop isn't working correctly.  It's really strange.  I didn't like navigating with the keyboard and mouse.  I wish I had a touchscreen. 

I look forward to programming for the platform, but I really hope I can get my windows 7 partition to boot again.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:44 PM
  • This was fixed by changing my default os to windows 7 (to use the win 7 boot loader) and then going to ubuntu (had it installed via wubi).  Ubuntu on boot said that the file system wasn't shut down correctly, it fixed it and now it correctly boots!  I think I'll install in a vhd instead.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:57 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:36:01 +0000, PauloGA wrote:

You cannot create a dual boot:

"...You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media...."

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

You most certainly can do a dual boot. The text you quoted has nothing at
    all to do with dual booting.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Chip:  Any number of small crunchy objects often served with onion dip.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Go here and you will get all the instructions on dual booting wndows 7 and windows 8.Also how to change the default OS.

I am triple booting Win XP, Win-7 and Win-8 now.

No problems as yet.I'm going to try Ubuntu  alongside these windows versions. Triple booted them before win8 came out.

http://lifehacker.com/5840387/how-to-dual+boot-windows-7-and-windows-8-side-by-side

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:26 AM
  • As this is Developer Preview and this will do a CLEAN INSTALL. There is no other way and if any body try to give himself a try there is no LUCK in this case.

CLEAN INSTALL means it will CLEAN, I.T. terms FORMAT,  the hard disk and then INSTALL.

I hope this is clear now..................

regards,

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I did install Windows 8 on a custom clean install alongside Windows 7 but it does not show the graphical boot loader to me. It directly boots into Windows 8. The partition and all the data is there and is visible from the Windows 8 explorer. But I can't boot into Windows 7 as it doesn't show any boot loader! 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:03 PM
  • I have installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview using Scott Hanselman's instructions for Boot-to-VHD ... works wonderfully. I have several boot-to-VHD images on my laptop for different operating systems and i am sure this will work for the server edition, too.

This method is the easiest and safest to install, and least intrusive to your main OS (though it does take up disk space).

The benefit to this is that you boot into the VHD - and get to use all of the resources and CPU of your hosting computer.

The link to the instructions is http://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideToInstallingAndBootingWindows8DeveloperPreviewOffAVHDVirtualHardDisk.aspx.

DS Skrtic
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:56 PM
  • I did install Windows 8 on a custom clean install alongside Windows 7 but it does not show the graphical boot loader to me. It directly boots into Windows 8. The partition and all the data is there and is visible from the Windows 8 explorer. But I can't boot into Windows 7 as it doesn't show any boot loader! 

Hi, I have tried and if you create a new partition from Windows 7 and install Windows Developer Preview in that partition without deleting the reserved partition you will be able to get the Dual Boot.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi, I have tried and if you create a new partition from Windows 7 and install Windows Developer Preview in that partition without deleting the reserved partition you will be able to get the Dual Boot.
    I did exactly that but somehow don't get the dual boot options while booting.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hi, I have tried and if you create a new partition from Windows 7 and install Windows Developer Preview in that partition without deleting the reserved partition you will be able to get the Dual Boot.
    I did exactly that but somehow don't get the dual boot options while booting.

Did you delete the Reserved partition maybe? You could try recover your Windows 7 access and after that do the same with Windows 8 and see if it gets the dual boot option in that way.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Choose "Custom" install option. This provides the option to choose which partition to install. You should have created a free partition in Windows 7 and preferably name it something easy to identify, before you start the Win8 install.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:47 PM
  • I think you installed it using the setup.exe file located in the Windows 8 Sources folder. I also did that and it directly booted into Windows 8 without showing the graphical bootloader. Then I tried the normal way and succeeded in dual booting Windows 8 alongside with Windows 7. I also wrote an article about it that you can check here: http://webtrickz.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8-developer-preview
    • Edited by Mayurjango Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:12 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:11 PM
  • This was fixed by changing my default os to windows 7 (to use the win 7 boot loader) and then going to ubuntu (had it installed via wubi).  Ubuntu on boot said that the file system wasn't shut down correctly, it fixed it and now it correctly boots!  I think I'll install in a vhd instead.

Have you installed Ubuntu after you installed Windows 8 or before ? I wan't to get rid of W8 but If I try to install Ubuntu under my W7 and after restart I can't choose ubuntu installer to continue and picking W7 just logs directly into W7.

Anyone knows how to get rid of W8 loader ?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I did exactly as you describe in your article but on rebooting I do not get a graphical bootloader with the option to select windows 7. It just boots straight into windows 8.

Anyone.???.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:47 PM

Anyone.???.

Don't install Windows 8 in a available partition, create a new one from Windows 7, call it, restart your system and install Windows 8 without format or editing any other partition, just select the partition that you have just created and in that way, Dual boot should work.

Regards,

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Well hi guys!

I have Windows 7 - Windows 8 DP - Ubuntu 11.04 boot options!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a different partition for Windows 8 DP, this is done by..

1- Search for Computer Management in start menu
    2- Select Disk Management
    3- Select a partition you want to shrink, .. then shrink it, format it, and install windows 8 on it :)

I did this last night and my windows 7 couldnt load! it kept saying error: 0xc000000e "Device could not be found" (or something like that).

But what first annoyed me was that the bootloader of Windows 8 took over. I went into win 8, opened cmd (admin), and used the bcdedit commands to make my Windows 7 default OS, followed by w8 DP then ubuntu. (you could use EasyBCD - which i havent used but hear is good or you could go to Startup and Recovery in Advanced System Settings and fix it up)

I got my windows 7 cd and fixed the problem of win 7 not loading by going into recovery and choosing "Start up Repair"! :)

...but the windows 8 bootloader thing annoyed me ALOT!! Finally got my computer back to normal!

i.e. Windows 8 can be uninstalled, if one were to delete the partition and then delete the boot option from the boot loader (also by using bcdedit command in cmd)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:32 PM
  • 1) Graphical bootloader

-  Very nice! Although I find it a little bit annoying. This graphical bootloader is actually isnide the Widows 8 Environment itself. That means to say, it boots up Windows 8 partially, which then shows you the available Operating Systems. However, when I select Windows 7, the machine restarts, leaving only the lights of my laptop. Windows 7 is then started. As for me, the nice graphical bootloader can be implemented in the Beta version, but if it should slow down the boot-up of other operating systems, then I'm out.

If you set Windows 7 as your default system (click more options in the graphical bootloader), it will then switch to the regular Windows 7 bootloader, but still have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 in there. You will just have to choose Windows 8 if you want to boot to it, but then it boots normally.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:57 PM
  • There are two things that you could do.

One is to make a new partition to install windows 8. Then modify windows developer previews BCD file to list windows 7 in the windows boot loader. The easyist way to do this is with "EasyBCD 2.1" it's free, but some people are reporting that this is not working.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2011/easybcd-2-1-and-some-big-changes

The second method (witch is the one I'm using) is by using a linux distro with grub like Ubuntu. Grub is very flexabul and is quite easy to set up. To do this, you will have to make 2 new partitions. (you may want to save these instructions in a .txt file to look at when you're in Ubuntu).

1. Make two new partitions. One for windows 8, with a Minimum partition size of 20 GB. And the other for Ubuntu, with a Minimum partition size of 5GB.

2. Download Ubuntu and the windows developer preview, and burn them both on separate disks.

*note* You may want to backup your data at this point.

3. Boot from the Windows Developer Preview disk, select your language and key board, then click install and wait for it to ask what kind of installation you would like. 

DO NOT!!! CLICK UPGRADE!

When it asks you what kind of installation you would like. Click on custom and then select the partition you made for the Windows Developer Preview. The Windows Developer Preview will now be your primary boot OS. But don't worry, your windows 7 is still intact.

4. Once the Windows Developer Preview is installed and is working correctly. Restart and boot from the Ubuntu disk. Once loaded, click install Ubuntu, select your language and go through the check list. Next you will come across three options. You need to click "Something else" and select the partishon that you made for ubuntu from the drop down menu and click Install Now.

5. when ubuntu has finished and you restart, you will notice the GRUB boot loader. But its defalt at the moment is ubuntu. To fix this,

i. Count how many selections are in the GRUB boot loader. I will assume you have 6.

ii. boot into ubuntu and login.

iii. find the terminal. How to do this depends on weather you're in unity or classic mode.

Unity: Click the Ubuntu logo in the top left corner and search for "terminal"

Classic: Click applications in the top left corner, go to accessorys and then click "terminal"

iiii. once you have the terminal open, type "sudo gnome-open /etc/default/grub" (your sudo pass is the same as your login) and hit enter. This will open a text document.

iiiii. Time to change some values! remember that I said that I will assume you had 6 options in your GRUB menu? well if windows 7 was 6th on the list, then you want to set the default as 5. This is because GRUB classes the 1st value as 0 and counts up from their.

The only two things that you want to be editing is

GRUB_DEFAULT= (what ever # win7 was on the list -1) e.g # on list was 6

GRUB_DEFAULT= 5

and

GRUB_TIMEOUT= (How many seconds you want GRUB to wait before auto selecting the default).

iiiiii. After editing the file, save it!

*NOTE* This is important!
    iiiiiii. Now go back to terminal and type "sudo update-grub" and hit enter.

iiiiiiii. Once finished, restart and enjoy!

This works for me so it should work for you. oh, and have a nice day!

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:27 AM

Anyone.???.

Same problem. I installed Windows 8 on a secondary drive and have no graphical bootloader. It simply boots straight into Windows 8. Hitting F8 brings up additional options, but no boot options. The only way I can boot into Windows 7 is by going into BIOS and doing an override into my Disk 1. If I change the boot settings to boot to that first, it just reverts and goes back to Disk 0 as the default.

My Disk 0 has three partitions (Windows 8 being one of them, plus others with just files).

My Disk 1 has the ASUS recovery partition, my Windows 7 OS partition, and another data partition.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:24 AM

Anyone.???.

How did you start the Windows 8 installation? And how did you create the new partition?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:25 AM

Anyone.???.

How did you start the Windows 8 installation? And how did you create the new partition?
    I created an extra partition using Windows 7 disk management utility. Then, I put in my DVD, restarted, and did an install to that partition. Both Win 7 and Win 8 work fine, I just don't have the option at startup (no bootloader). (EDIT: Started my own thread instead of hijacking this one.)
    • Edited by inntheboat Friday, September 16, 2011 3:34 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:31 AM
  • I did it just fine. Made a second partition on c: by shrinking the volume. Then I used a windows 7 usb image tool to put it on a 8 gig flash drive, the voila! But I am stuck at the login screen and cannot get into windows... poop...

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:11 PM

Anyone.???.

The same thing was happening with me but fixed it now. If you have installed properly by creating a new partition and still can't see the graphical boot loader, just do the following:

1. Boot from a Windows 7(not 8!) boot DVD/USB.
    2. After initial loading, select Repair your computer.
    3. Select Startup repair.
    4. It will reboot and you should see Windows 7 as an option in the Windows 8 bootloader now.

Hope this helps. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:00 PM
  • 1) Graphical bootloader

-  Very nice! Although I find it a little bit annoying. This graphical bootloader is actually isnide the Widows 8 Environment itself. That means to say, it boots up Windows 8 partially, which then shows you the available Operating Systems. However, when I select Windows 7, the machine restarts, leaving only the lights of my laptop. Windows 7 is then started. As for me, the nice graphical bootloader can be implemented in the Beta version, but if it should slow down the boot-up of other operating systems, then I'm out.

If you set Windows 7 as your default system (click more options in the graphical bootloader), it will then switch to the regular Windows 7 bootloader, but still have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 in there. You will just have to choose Windows 8 if you want to boot to it, but then it boots normally.
    I already set Windows 7 as the default Operating System; but the Graphical Bootloader has insisted itself to be manifested as the Default Bootloader.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:24 AM
  • I already have set dual boot for Win 7 and Linuxmint 10. Is it possible to make the win 8 as the third in the Grub list..?  

Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:33 PM
  • I just installed Win8 x64 on a Win7 x64 system and have dual-boot capability. To make this happen, you need to enable Win 7 as the first boot OS. Control Panel/System/Advanced Systems Settings/Advanced/ Startup and Recovery. Do this while in Win8.

As in all dual-boot situations, I created a new hard drive partition for Win8, which I did by shrinking/partitioning the existing Win7 drive using Computer Management. I did this before doing the Win8 install.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:31 PM

As in all dual-boot situations, I created a new hard drive partition for Win8, which I did by shrinking/partitioning the existing Win7 drive using Computer Management.

Windows 7 is not an option for me when going into Startup and Recovery. Windows Developer Preview is the only option.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:45 PM
  • I was able to get Windows 7 to boot by switching my hard drives. Now Windows 7 is my Disk 0 and Windows 8 is Disk 1.

Has anyone dual booted on two separate hard drives? Or is everyone using one hard drive, multiple partitions/VHDs? I suppose I could reinstall onto my Disk 0 now.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:05 PM
  • that is 100% wrong. i have my machine set up as a dual boot between vista and windows 8

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I have 2 HDDs with 1 partition each. I did NOT shrink the volume or something similar.. I installed windows 8 on the HDD-B while windows7 is already sitting in HDD-A. I didn't able to get the windows 8's graphical boot screen until I real Apoorv Narang post. The trick worked by running windows 7 recovery disk.

Thanks Apoorv Narang! BUT what happen next is horrible!! I changed the priority; windows 7 as first OS and I booted with windows 7. The machine restarted, no boot screen came up (as windows 7 was already scheduled to launch) and windows 7 started. I restarted the machine and now I am getting windows 7 bootloader rather new -- sleek -- windows 8 graphical one!! Can i get my favorite bootloader back with windows 7 as first option ??

H E L P ! ! !

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:41 AM
  • that is 100% wrong. i have my machine set up as a dual boot between vista and windows 8

What is 100% wrong? Everyone here knows it's possible to dual boot, some people are just having trouble getting the bootloader.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:32 PM

Didn't work for me on Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows Developer Preview setup. Trying to boot into the newly created boot record resulted in booting into the WinRE. I described it here. Any clue?
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Ari explains here that you can't use existing Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 boot manager configuration database to boot Windows Developer Preview. To boot into Windows 8 you have to update the boot manager!

DO NOT EDIT the existing BCD of Windows 7! You will NOT be able to use it to start Windows 8!

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:38 PM
  • How can you update the boot manager?
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:49 PM
  • How can you update the boot manager?
    Please the post linked in the post above. BCDBOOT X:\Windows where X:\ is a master where you want to copy the boot manager from. If you want to use the new boot manager, point to Windows Developer Preview .\Windows folder within the mounted ISO. Otherwise, if you want to overwrite existing boot manager with an old one, point to the Windows folder of your Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 installation.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:25 PM
  • I'm just interrupting here. I can see the two OS selections, but I can't start windows seven. Bios error device was not found or something. I installed  win8 on different partition than seven. Somehow, my original c drive became e, and original d drive became c. How can I start up with win seven?
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:14 AM
  • Eugene, I had your same problem....
    Now there are many options to reach a solution.
    The whole windows 7 is the e drive and stuff is normal, dnt get scared :)
    The simplest solution is to try to find your Windows 7 cd, boot from it and select repair Windows, which will be at the bottom of the 'install' screen. Then select 'startup repair'
    Another solution is to also go to the command line (which is under the startup repair option) and the use the many commands to fix your problem (bcdedit, bootsect, ..etc....)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:34 AM
  • ive tried repairing, but start up repair did not detect any problems. system restore doesn't work either. if i change my win7 partition into drive C, can i still boot up? or would the win8 settings make it not possible.

I've crashed my computer once by setting C: as active... should i do that with the ccurrent win7 drive (e)?

The bios error was device not found or not accessible. how to fix!

You also say many commands. Can you perhaps instruct me what to use?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Is it a JBOD disk or a part of RAID array?

Did you install it on a plain partition or in a VHD file?

Could you run

bcdedit /v

to see settings of your boot configuration database? Although I don't know how to do that when you can't start any OS...

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:54 PM
  • I can start win8, can bcdedit. Then what

Its a partition. On drive. No idea about raid or whatever.

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Could it be that your boot record points to a VHD drive that is located on a different drive, I mean the drive letter hell, when letters are different in OS (that can sort GUIDs as define) and in BIOS (that sorts devices staring from the bus0 channel0)?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I wrote a guide on how to Dual Boot Windows 8 and Windows 7 directly from VHD and you do it all from with the Windows 8 Setup.  Just boot from your USB or DVD and enter a few DiskPart commands then continue with the installer.  When it's done you can boot into your existing Windows 7 installation or into the new Windows 8 Developer Preview.

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/dual-boot-windows-8-from-vhd-using-windows-setup/

It's pretty easy, hopefully you'll find it helpful.

MrShannon | Concurrency Blogs | UAG SP1 DirectAccess Configuration Guide
    • Proposed as answer by MrShannonMVP Monday, September 26, 2011 10:29 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hello to All

I use iReboot like Ad Man Gamer and have no trouble with dual-boot. It's a good program and free. The Developer Preview is different and will need work. Good luck to all!!!!

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:58 PM
  • After creating a 75gb partition on my only laptop drive and running the Windows8 DVD it tells me that I cant't use any of the partitions as the are dynamic.  I went back and deleted the new partition just in case, extended c: to take it back up.  After rebooting and shrinking etc I re-created the 75gb partition checking that it was 'simple' (not sure if it was the same 1st time).  Still same result - it shows as dynamic?

How do I get around this 'dynamic' drive issue? 

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:09 PM
  • How to change a dynamic disk to Basic?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755238.aspx

Converting dynamic disks to basic disks. After you convert a basic disk into a dynamic disk, you cannot change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you must move or back up your data, delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then convert the disk. For more information, see Change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Thanks all of u. I am a kid of 12 years old. I am downloading Windows Development Preview(Windows 8).From this I gained knowldege and will take care when installing.

Thanks for solutions.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Hi! I have three PCs all with dual-boot via two hard drives. I have Win7 Ult running on all three and had a copy of Vista Ult on the second drive on all three.

Now I have installed Win8 Preview on the Vista drive in all three PCs - leaving the Win7 OS and HDD untouched. For two Win8 Preview installs I created a bootable USB from Win7 and loaded to the Vista HDD (did a Format of the old Vista drive as part of the process). For the third Preview install I used Vista to update in-place to Win8.

I have no problems on the PC I installed Win8 via update from Vista. On that PC I get the GUI Boot Manager screen if I have Windows Developer Preview set as the default or I get the standard Boot Manager if I have Win7as the default (or I can go back and forth by having Win7 as default in Win8 and vice-versa)).

However, for the two Win8 Preview installs I did via a bootable USB I have problems. On one I can get to Win7 ONLY if I F12 and select the Win7 HDD. On the other PC I have not been able to get Win7 up at all (although I can see under Win Explorer that the Win7 HDD is intact). Naturally that particular copy of Win7 is my main version with programs that are not on the other two PCs

For the PC that I can only get to Win7 via F12 on boot I used BCDEdit to create entries for Win7 - and then changed the defaults, so I now get the GUI Boot Manager from Win8, but even if I select Win7 it boots Win8. Adding a Win8 entry via BCDEdit in Win7 does nothing. But at least I can get Win7 via F12 on boot.

For the third PC I tried BCDEdit to no avail. Then I reversed the two harddrives - again to no avail. So I removed (unplugged) the Win8 drive, and the boot stops with a message asking me to mount the boot drive - even though a perfectly fine Win7 bootable OS is sitting right there!

Its pretty clear that there are some new routines added to startup - but where do they reside? Why does the boot fail asking for the boot drive when I remove the Win8 HDD leaving the Win7 ready to go?

Anyway I started this note intending to ask how you did your dual-boot install - was it by creating a bootable USB in Win7 or update from Vista (or XP) on your non-Win7 drive?

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Thanks Bobby L and all the other responders in this thread.  Here's how dual boot worked for me:

1. Downloaded Windows 8 DP 64 bit ISO
    2. In Windows 7, using System Disk Management performed a "shrink" of C: and named the new partition E:
    3. Burned the ISO to a DVD+R DL using Roxio
    4. With the DVD inserted at D:, performed Run of D:Sources/setup.exe
    5. Installation began for Windows 8 and offerred the new partition E: as a destination
    6. Following installation of Windows 8, and within Windows 8, used Control Panel System Advanced Settings to change the preferred start up OS from Windows 8 to Windows 7

On restrart the boot OS offering included both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Seems like everything is cool.

William Gustafson
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:41 AM
  • It did for me :)
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:07 AM
  • I have the exact same issue... I have a HP Pavilion dv7
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:53 AM
  • I have just followed the details in the link below:

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/11/24/how-dual-boot-windows-8-and-windows-7-without-drive-partitioning/

and have no issues with it running both side by side.

I have also installed it via usb to a few netbooks using the MS usb boot loader.

My next challenge is to get it installed on an old android tablet via usb (cheap Chinese copy I think)

There have been a few mentions of "oh no it doesn't duel boot but starts with the Windows 8 screen" well it does, then gives you a choice after a few seconds on which OS to use.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hello there, 

All great solutions to this question. I would like also to contribute to this question, as much as I prefer to test a new operating system in a virtual machine, let's say by creating a Windows 8 VM in VirtualBox or by using a spare computer; being able to easily create a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) to install Windows 8 is also a great solution. To anyone interested here is a step-by-step guide to create a VHD and installing Windows 8 alongside Windows 7  -- http://pureinfotech.com/2011/11/29/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-with-windows-7-using-vhd-virtual-hard-disk-step-by-step/

Thank you!

• Edited by mhweb Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:11 AM
  • I went into disk management in Windows 7 and shrunk my C partition by 15,000 megs and formatted it. Then rebooted to Windows 8 Developer 64 bit DVD and it gave me the option to install in the partition I created. (Should have made it at least 20,000 meg's though). Install went smooth and boot loader installed on its own. I did correct the boot loader to make Windows 7 the first or default option from boot loader screen. Have had no problems and installed MSE Antivirus and Malwarebytes with no problems. Also running Threatfire just fine like on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. This is a Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop with 3 gig's of memory. BTW, to remove Windows 8 install, go into disk management in 7 and expand that partition to erase the 8 partition.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I followed the instructions, but my test dummy system is older, and would always hang when booting from DVD (never a problem with Win7, Win 7 RC, etc). Had to change (don't think of it as an upgrade IMHO) from within Win7, which it deleted to install itself. That's exactly why I have a test dummy box - play with it all I like and still not have my primary box ruined. Just my experience=older computer (Opteron 185 DC, Nforce4 chiptset). Not full driver support for legacy hardware in this release from what I have experienced - waiting for beta to see the progress.
    • Proposed as answer by BrentOtter Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Please see how to do this without ANY DVD Player/Writer or DVD. This can be very important if one does not have a DVD Player/Writer that can handle the special large DVD-9 format or one does not have a blank DVD-9 or one does not even have a DVD Player/Writer installed in their system.

It also can help those who installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview already, but did not get the developer tools .iso version, because of these issues as well.

More here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/4d8c3257-35e7-47a7-9d9c-3bccdafbc354

Enjoy TheUberOverLord AKA Don Kennedy
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:21 AM