none
Sharing Master Pages, Page Layout and Style Library across site collections RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have multiple site collections created under the same web application. all the site collections are using the same content DB

i would like to know if it is possible for all these site collections to share the same master page, page layout and style library instead of me having to manually uploading the changes to all the site collections

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:20 AM

All replies

• You can't use the same master page ,page layout in contentDB wise.

You may automate using powershell or create a new feature using VS to add the same set of contents to change the design (Masterpage, layouts, css, ...etc) in each site collections. 

-- Vadivelu B Life with SharePoint

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Hi Tweety,

You can implement feature and deploy feature in your farm. You can activate and deactivate for applying master pages and corresponding css wherever you want. For example, if you have site under site collection and do not want apply master page, then deactivate your custom page. Refer below URL for preparing your master page as feature. 

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadfile/Roji.Joy/how-to-deploy-sharepoint-master-page-as-a-feature/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Lalith

----------------------------------------

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue.

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:11 PM