none
Install works with PnPUtil, but not SetupCopyOEMInf API RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install a plug-n-play driver on Win7 32-bit. The driver is signed, and successfully installs into the driver store using "PnpUtil". However, when I attempt to install the exact same package using the SetupCopyOEMInf API via an installation program, it can't verify the publisher (red warning box).

Examining the differences in "setupapi.dev.log" reveals that the unsuccessful attempt (via API) logged a "Driver package does not contain a catalog file" message.  And further up, in the FILE_QUEUE_COPY section, there is no .CAT entry.  But the "PnpUtil" log has a .CAT file copy, and no error message.

What could cause this difference?

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:00 PM

Answers

• I figured out the problem. Like the log file said, the .CAT file was missing from the installation distribution. It was physically part of the source image (which was why PnpUtil worked), but not copied to the destination.

By the way, both SetupCopyOEMInf and DriverPackageInstall successfully install the driver.

• Marked as answer by mr.brad2 Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:32 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:32 PM

All replies

• Instead of SetupCopyOEMInf, have you considered using the DifxAPI's?  The DriverPackageInstall API http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544813(v=vs.85).aspx will install a driver for you correctly for a PNP driver.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

• Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mr.brad2 Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:05 PM
  • Does your INF file refer to a CAT file?  It should and for a 32-bit only driver you can the file empty, but have the file.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:05 PM
  • Thanks for your response. I recoded to use DriverPackageInstall, but I get the same results.

Here's PnpUtil showing a successful install:

Here's DriverPackageInstall stating it can't verify the publisher:

The log file still says "Driver package does not contain a catalog file" when run using DriverPackageInstall. Do you have any more ideas?

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:07 PM
  • It has a CatalogFile entry under the [Version] section. The .CAT file was created using Inf2Cat, and digitally signed.
    • Edited by mr.brad2 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:22 PM Update
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:11 PM
  • I figured out the problem. Like the log file said, the .CAT file was missing from the installation distribution. It was physically part of the source image (which was why PnpUtil worked), but not copied to the destination.

By the way, both SetupCopyOEMInf and DriverPackageInstall successfully install the driver.

• Marked as answer by mr.brad2 Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:32 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:32 PM