none
How do i add a control not inline?

Question

• Hi,
    I'm trying to learn about using the visual studio 2015 IDE, by making the visual basic / WPF "Hellow World!" tutorial as shown here.

Now it's probably something very simple but when i try to add a radio button to the form, it gets added as an inline control inside the textbox, as shown in the screenshot below.
    I am also not getting a tooltip with the text "Press alt top move the radiobutton into/out of the text box", which i have seen earlier. So what am i doing wrong here and how do i switch between adding a control to the textbox and adding a control to the form?

Kind regards guys.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi F Sccheltens,

Thanks for your response.

How about dragging the RadioButton into the form instead of double clicking it?

I have watched the video you recorded. But I still can't reproduce your issue in my side. I follow your steps, create a VB WPF application.  Drag a textbox into the form. Then select the textbox and double click the RadioButton.

I suppose whether the cause is in your VS2015 IDE, please upgrade your Visual Studio to 2015 Update3. The latest update of VS2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hi F Sccehltens,

Thanks for your post.

>>So what am i doing wrong here and how do i switch between adding a control to the textbox and adding a control to the form?

According to your description and the screenshot you offered. I think you drag the radio button into the textbox control by mistake.

In this case, you could select the radio button or the text box like this, 

Than drag the control outside of the textbox control. If I misunderstood your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, August 19, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for answering. Today i just tried to reproduce my issue. 
    As it turns out, if you place a radio button in a textbox, other radio buttons are also added into this textbox. Dragging them out of the textbox requires dragging the text (NOT the blue border) just outside the textbox. This was a little confusing to me, but now that i figured it out it kind of makes sense when designing a form.
    But just now i also had another issue i have seen before: I put a textbox in the form, i then try to put a radio button in the form, but the radio button REPLACES the text box. This happens when the textbox is selected, and also when the form is selected. Again, no clue why the IDE suddenly behaves in this way. I recorded my desktop while reproducing the problem here

Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Hi F Sccheltens,

Thanks for your response.

How about dragging the RadioButton into the form instead of double clicking it?

I have watched the video you recorded. But I still can't reproduce your issue in my side. I follow your steps, create a VB WPF application.  Drag a textbox into the form. Then select the textbox and double click the RadioButton.

I suppose whether the cause is in your VS2015 IDE, please upgrade your Visual Studio to 2015 Update3. The latest update of VS2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:22 AM