Log FIle Deletion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Gurus,

I do take transaction log backup of the database on weekend. Do i have to store it for reference or can i delete the old log files after some days.Because space is constraint for me. what i do is, i take log file backup and copy that log file into backup server this and i will shrink the log file. In this case, can i delete the log file. One more thing is i tale full backup everyday. Can u please say the recommended practices. Am pretty confused about this.

appreciate your help.

Thanks,

venkat.

• Edited by Ven Raja Monday, August 5, 2013 5:39 PM mistake
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:31 PM

Answers

•  In this case, can i delete the log file.

The transaction log file (LDF) can't be deleted, it is essential for the work of SQL Server.

And a Scott already suggested, with your less knowledge you should better delete nothing, you can make things only worsen. Get some additional disk space, that will already solve your problem

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Ven Raja Monday, August 5, 2013 5:45 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hello venkat,

To restore transaction log backups you need
    - the last full backup
    - all log backups between the last full and the current log backup you want to restore.

So you could delete all log backups done before the last full backup, but none of the done after.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, August 5, 2013 5:34 PM
  • STOP what you are doing and go educate yourself about disaster recovery.  Start by reading BOL.  You need to think about your requirements and how to implement this in your system - and you need to do this before a disaster occurs.  And your implementation needs to be documented and tested. 
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Because space is constraint for me. what i do is, i take log file backup and copy that log file into backup server this and i will shrink the log file. In this case, can i delete the log file. One more thing is i tale full backup everyday. Can u please say the recommended practices.
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:39 PM
  •  In this case, can i delete the log file.

The transaction log file (LDF) can't be deleted, it is essential for the work of SQL Server.

And a Scott already suggested, with your less knowledge you should better delete nothing, you can make things only worsen. Get some additional disk space, that will already solve your problem

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Ven Raja Monday, August 5, 2013 5:45 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:44 PM