Service debugging RRS feed

• Question

• User-244779555 posted
    I hope this isn't a duplicate but I posted over an hour ago and the post hasn't appeared yet?

I have written a service which is working fine on my laptop, I cant get it to run on the development machine.

I moved the entire project to the dev machine and rebuilt the exe and installed the service on the dev machine.

As the service wouldn't run, I wrote a simple service which does run on the dev box, but even after adding the debug lines

Imports System.Diagnostics

and

System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Launch()

System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break()

into VS2005 to allow the code to be debugged, the service never asks for the debugger like it does on my lap top.

Am I missing a setting somewhere to make it use a debugger when a service starts?
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:44 AM

All replies

• User-837620913 posted
    You need to install the Remote Debugging Tools for that to work on the dev machine.  I am assuming the dev machine does not have VS on it?
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:19 AM
  • User-244779555 posted
    The dev machine does have vs2005 on it, and I connect using remote desktop, but is there an add on which may have not been added into the VS build?
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:53 AM
  • User-244779555 posted
    I was unable to get the debug facility working on the dev server, so started again adding a single line at a time untill I found the function which wasn't working. (Service logging)
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:53 AM