Personal Site Starter Kit - How to get started RRS feed

• Question

• User674127219 posted

I downloaded the starter kit and found the zip files. I expanded the files into a directory and don't know how to get going. Visual Web Developer wants a project file and I don't see one.

I also don't see any "installation" file. This is probably very obvious, but not to me.

This is all very new to me, so be kind.

Thanks,

Tom

Monday, August 17, 2009 7:22 PM

All replies

• User-514194766 posted

File -> Open Site and navigate to the extracted file and open

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:51 PM
  • User674127219 posted

Thanks, I had not used the "open site" in any of the tutorials and never tried that.

Now a more ominous problem. Build errors: When I try to build default.aspx, along with more than twenty warnings, I have two errors. The errors say that two .vb files do not exist. The files are there, in the same directory. So, I have no clue what to do next.

Thanks again for the quick reply,

Tom

Monday, August 17, 2009 10:21 PM
  • User674127219 posted

Sorry for the bother, the missing files thing was my mistake.

Monday, August 17, 2009 10:34 PM
  • User674127219 posted

Any ideas about this build error:

Theme 'White' cannot be found in the application or global theme directories.

The file referenced was web.config, line 9.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:00 PM
  • User-1693514048 posted

Hey,

Did you download the source files for the Starter Kit, or did you download the vsi file for it.

If it is the latter, double click on the vsi file, and this will add the Personal Website Starter Kit Template to your Visual Studio installation.

From there, simply click on File | New | Web Site, and then, in the window that opens up, select "Personal Web Site Starter Kit" and that will roll out a new web site including all the functionality of the Starter Kit ready for you to play with.

Hope that helps!!

Gary

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:56 AM
  • User1979526294 posted

I am having this same issue. I downloded the zip file, extracted it to my templates folder. Opened it as you described and have the following error: by the way, I am using the new Visual Studio 2010 Beta. Any help is always welcome. Thanks in advance.

Server Error in '/VisualBasic' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Theme 'White' cannot be found in the application or global theme directories.

Source Error:

Line 7:  	</connectionStrings>
    Line 8:  	<system.web>
    Line 9:  		<pages styleSheetTheme="White"/>
    Line 10: 		<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
    Line 11: 		<compilation debug="true"/>

Source File: C:\Users\Kerry\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer\VisualBasic\web.config    Line: 9

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.21006; ASP.NET Version:4.0.21006.1

<!-- [ConfigurationErrorsException]: Theme 'White' cannot be found in the application or global theme directories. (C:\Users\Kerry\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer\VisualBasic\web.config line 9) at System.Web.Configuration.PagesSection.get_StyleSheetThemeInternal() at System.Web.UI.PageParser.ProcessConfigSettings() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.PrepareParse() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp) at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) -->
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:12 AM