Is-it possible to customise the list of key-values sent to the notification hub depending on the platform? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a cross-platforms mobile application, available on iOS, Android and Windows.

We are using Azure notification hub to send platform-agnostic push notifications from our backend.

Each of our applications is registering using the appropriate platform-specific registration template. Since each platforms has specific needs, the list of key-values sent by the backend keeps growing and all of them are not necessarily useful to a specific platform. As an example, the backend currently sends 3 different but redundant properties for the push message: full message (used on iOS), title (used for Android\Windows) and text (used for Android\Windows).

In some cases, we cannot avoid those redundancies as in the example above (because the registration fails when we concatenate title and text in the registration template on iOS using the character "\n").

My question is, is it possible to customise the list of key-values sent to a specific platform in the push payload sent by our backend? I know this aspect is already functional with templates, but I'm asking since the benefit for us is a cleaner code.

In addition, assuming this is possible, would that approach might have a positive impact on performance?

We are highly performance oriented (this is one of the most critical aspect for us) and if this approach could help us optimise our set-up, we would definitely opt for it.

Thank you!

Adrien

Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Adrien,

Template send allows to target (based on tags/tag expression) notification to any platform. Hence, you need to specify all platform specific key-values. However, based on target logic: tags/tag expression, if you know targeted platform, you can send only that targeted platform specific key-values. Yes, there will be little performance improvement.

Thanks,
    Sateesh

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

• Proposed as answer by Mimi Xu Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:42 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:16 PM