How to use Rear camera on Developer Preview machine?

Question

• Maybe I am missing something, but I have not found a way to use the rear camera on the Samsung developer preview tablet yet.  The camera and webcam dialogs I have seen all use the front webcam only, and I have not found any OS level settings to change it either.

Looking at the WinRT libraries and playing with the CamCaptureCS sample, I cannot find any API support for choosing a particular camera device either.

Friday, October 07, 2011 9:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't know that this should have been moved to the Samsung forum, as it is an OS issue not specific to the Samsung tablet.

Friday, October 07, 2011 10:33 PM
  • This is what I did to test mine.  Install windows live movie maker. Go to File > Options  > Webcam. Choose what camera you want to use from the Available webcam dropdown.  Go to the Home tab and choose webcam to star viewing selected webcam video. 
    • Proposed as answer by TJ Calingasan Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:20 AM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 11:11 PM
  • My question is how to use it from a Metro app, hence I posted in the general OS questions.  It should not have been moved here.  There seems to be a big omission in the WinRT libraries, if there is no way to choose the camera.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hey RobertWG,

Thanks for the clarification. I've moved your question to the Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices forum so that the developer community here can further assist you.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi Robert,

You can find all of the available cameras by calling DeviceInformation.FindAllAsync(DeviceClass.VideoCapture).  Once you've chosen a camera to use, initialize the MediaCapture device by passing the camera's ID in the MediaCaptureInitializationSettings.VideoDeviceId property.

--Rob

Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:40 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the reply, I hadn't had a chance until now to go back and try this.  I'm still not able to do what I want, however.

I can use the MediaCaptureInitializationSettings object with a MediaCapture object and the CapturePhotoToStorageFileAsync method, but I see no way to use it with the CameraCaptureUI dialog (like in the CameraCaptureUI sample).  Obviously I'd rather use the dirt-simple (and presumably standard) CameraCaptureUI class than re-create it myself and use MediaCapture. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks!

Robert

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hi Robert,

If you use the CameraCaptureUI then the user can choose the camera (there's a camera-with-an-arrow widget on the app bar).  There isn't a way for the app to limit (or default) which camera is chosen.

--Rob

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:57 PM
    Owner