How to read an excel file?

Question

• I want to read data from and Excel file . I am developing an Attendance Sheet and i want to add the data of Students from Excel.

samEE

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:34 PM

Answers

• HI SamEE666,

Sorry, currently there is no in-box API for you to communicate with Excel documents.

You have to write your own code or to use some third party tools, to use a WCF is also a good option.

A similar C# post I link here, hopefully can help you: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/4fce4765-2d05-4a2b-8d0a-6219e87f3307/reading-excel-file-using-c-in-winrt-platform

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 1:42 AM
  • I'd consider using a simpler format like .csv or a.txt - if you say you support Excel, you'd have to handle reading multiple file formats - .docx, and .doc.

You'll also have to work around things like cell formulas, protection, templates, or other things you may not expect.

At least with a .csv or a .txt - the data is just data.

The benefit is that excel can save to a .txt or .csv, so it isn't hard to get a user to do that.

Darin R.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:38 PM
  • That code isn't valid in a Windows Store app. You will need a third party component designed for Windows store apps to read Excel files. As Darin says, it may be much easier to use a simpler format.
    Saturday, June 07, 2014 3:10 AM
  • Yes. If you need to use Excel files directly then you'll need to find a 3rd party component which supports Windows Store apps. I believe there are several commercial products which do this, but I cannot make any specific recommendations.

Saturday, June 07, 2014 7:43 PM

All replies

• HI SamEE666,

Sorry, currently there is no in-box API for you to communicate with Excel documents.

You have to write your own code or to use some third party tools, to use a WCF is also a good option.

A similar C# post I link here, hopefully can help you: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/4fce4765-2d05-4a2b-8d0a-6219e87f3307/reading-excel-file-using-c-in-winrt-platform

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 1:42 AM
  • I'd consider using a simpler format like .csv or a.txt - if you say you support Excel, you'd have to handle reading multiple file formats - .docx, and .doc.

You'll also have to work around things like cell formulas, protection, templates, or other things you may not expect.

At least with a .csv or a .txt - the data is just data.

The benefit is that excel can save to a .txt or .csv, so it isn't hard to get a user to do that.

Darin R.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:38 PM
  • I found this code. It runs fine on Browser. Now I want to add data of excel  in a Table but I don't know how?
    <html>
    	<head>
    		<title>Read from Excel or Access</title>
    		<script language="JavaScript">

function getCount()
    				{
    					var cn = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    					var strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = C:\\Users\\MUHAMMAD\\Desktop\\airline.xls;Persist Security Info=False;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;"
    					cn.Open(strConn);
    					var rs = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Recordset");
    					var SQL = "select * from [Sheet1$]";
    					rs.Open(SQL, cn);
    					if(rs.bof)
    					{
    						document.write('No records available for this query');
    					}

if(!rs.bof)
    					{
    						rs.MoveFirst()
    						while(!rs.eof)
    							{
    								for(var i=0; i!= rs.fields.count; ++i)
    									{
    										document.write(rs.fields(i).value + ", ");
    									}
    								document.write("<br />");
    								rs.MoveNext()
    							}
    					}
    					rs.Close();
    					cn.Close();
    				}
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <input type="button" value="Get count" onclick="getCount()">
    </body>
    </html>

samEE

Friday, June 06, 2014 5:17 PM
  • That code isn't valid in a Windows Store app. You will need a third party component designed for Windows store apps to read Excel files. As Darin says, it may be much easier to use a simpler format.
    Saturday, June 07, 2014 3:10 AM
  • It means I have to first convert data from Excel file into .txt or to .csv then use it in my app

samEE

Saturday, June 07, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Yes. If you need to use Excel files directly then you'll need to find a 3rd party component which supports Windows Store apps. I believe there are several commercial products which do this, but I cannot make any specific recommendations.

Saturday, June 07, 2014 7:43 PM
  • I have saved excel file as .txt know I want to enter that data into table e.g. the data in the text file is as

Name        Father's Name            Roll no.

abc            xyz                            123               

then I want to add an other column Attendance

Name         Father's Name            Roll no.            Attendance

abc             xyz                           123                  P           

Then I want to save it as excel file..

samEE

Monday, June 30, 2014 11:02 AM