none
Cannot install Windows Server 2003 VHD to Virtual Machine in Virtual PC 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer running Windows 7 64 bit OS.  I have a Quad core processor with a 750 G HD with 650 G free. 

I have downloaded Virtual PC 2007 and created a Virtual PC. 

I have created a Virtual Hard Drive.

I have downloaded Windows Server 2003 to install on the Virtual Hard Drive.  However, I cannot figure out a way to install 2003 on the VHD. 

When I start the Virtual PC, the Virtual PC Console opens.  I click start and another window opens up that appears to be a Command Prompt window.  This window is a PXE Boot agent and searches for a DHCP address.  When it cannot locate this, it sends a message- "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device".

I cannot find any information about how to install Server 2003 on to the VHD, nor can I find any information on how to install the VHD into the Virtual PC machine.  I have no insertable boot device.  I have downloaded everything.

I am a rookie to IT, but am studying for Windows XP/7 and Server 2003/2008 certification tests and want to set this up to practice with.  Please help!

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:06 PM