Getting sqlce error while executing a cmf2.0 application on WM5.0 using cmf3.5 as a framework on the device.. RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed cmf3.5 and sqlce 3.0 on a WM5.0 after un-installing cmf2.0 from that device.
    Then I installed a CMF2.0 application (Built using visual studio 2005) on that device.

when i run the application i've received following error.
    "File or assembly name 'System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3BE235DF1C8D2AD3', or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Can any body let me know, why i'm getting this error.

Note: I am able run one other simple cmf2.0 application on this device. however this simple application does not uses sqlce reference anywhere.
    I assume this is the problem with the incompatible sqlce reference. please help me to find out the exact cause of the issue. 

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:15 AM

Answers

• Hi dharmendra,

Please install SQL Mobile on to your device. These CABs can be found at this location:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\SQL Server\Mobile\v3.0\wce500\armv4i

sqlce30.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB – SQL Mobile core – required.

sqlce30.dev.ENU.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB – Query Analyzer tool and exception messages – optional

sqlce30.repl.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB – Replication/RDA support –optional.

If this can't solve it, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi dharmendra,

Please install SQL Mobile on to your device. These CABs can be found at this location:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\SQL Server\Mobile\v3.0\wce500\armv4i

sqlce30.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB – SQL Mobile core – required.

sqlce30.dev.ENU.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB – Query Analyzer tool and exception messages – optional

sqlce30.repl.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB – Replication/RDA support –optional.

If this can't solve it, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi Guang,

Sorry for my late response and thank you for your suggestion on this issue.

I have installed the all sqlce cab files mentioned by you.
    However i'm sorry to say that it has not solved the issue.

I am still getting same error mentioned in my post.

looking for some more suggestion.

Regards,
    Dharmendra

Some More Testing: 
    I've some update on this issue. It may be helpful in your analysis of this issue.

1) i've copied the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll in the the path of main exe of my application.
        Now after running application i've received this error.            
                "can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme30.dll'"
    2) I've un-installed SQLCe3.0 from the device. And then installed SQLCE3.5 on the device.
        Now i'm able to run the application.

Conclusion :
    After this testing i've come to following conclusion. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
     (This is regarding a CMF2.0 application running on WM5.0 device using sqlce reference)

a) CMF2.0 application can be run successfully using CMF3.5 on WM5.0 device provided that it does not uses sqlce3.0 reference. 
         Can any body explain this why?

b) CMF2.0 application can be run successfully using CMF3.5 on WM5.0 device If it uses SQLCE3.5 reference and same is intstalled on the device.
         This is fair enough. I suppose no clarification is needed.

regards,
    Dharmendra

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:32 AM