none
FolderSync suddenly stopped working in WP7.5? RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a beta implementation of AS that we test with different smartphones. Just suddenly the FolderSync command stopped working on a newly upgraded WP7 phone (now upgraded to WP7.5). The whole sync process has been working just fine previously.

    After the device sends FolderSync command with an initial folder SyncKey of 0 our server reply with the following standard response, but then WP7 just says ‘Unknown sync error’. We have also tried to reply with Status 142 to force the device through Provision. The Provision works fine but then the device returns with it's initial folder SyncKey of 0 (as it should) and we are back to square one. 

    Any ideas?

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <FolderSync xmlns="FolderHierarchy">
      <Status>1</Status>
      <SyncKey>574</SyncKey>
      <Changes>
        <Count>2</Count>
        <Add>
          <ServerId>1</ServerId>
          <ParentId>0</ParentId>
          <DisplayName>Calendar</DisplayName>
          <Type>8</Type>
        </Add>
        <Add>
          <ServerId>2</ServerId>
          <ParentId>0</ParentId>
          <DisplayName>Contacts</DisplayName>
          <Type>9</Type>
        </Add>
      </Changes>
    </FolderSync>
    
    

     

    Friday, November 25, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

  • Hi Lars,

    Thank you for your patience and effort for finding the problem and test the recommended workaround.
    The problem briefly:
    The client, Windows Phone (WP) 7.5, sends the initial FolderSync request with SyncKey 0 (zero).
    The server responses with the new SyncKey and telling, e.g. there were two changes.
    The client displays the generic error code 0x8004010F (MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND).

    The key element in the above scenario is that the server response does not contain the Deleted Items folder. In 7.5 code was introduced to prevent the synchronization of Calendar items in the Deleted Items folder. If the server does not have Deleted Items folder an attempt is made to use the default one, if it can’t be found the above error code is returned. A bug has been already filled against this behavior.

    The recommended workaround is to include the Deleted Items folder into the response to the initial FoderSync request.

    Thanks, Vilmos

    Monday, February 6, 2012 10:47 PM

All replies

  • Hi Southbranch,

    Thanks for your request regarding your ActiveSync implementation and ‘Unknown sync error’.   One of the Open Specifications team will respond shortly to work with you.

    Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:09 PM
    Moderator
  • Many thanks, looking forward to that.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Hi Southbranch,

    I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

    Thanks,
    Vilmos Foltenyi | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Email: vilmosf@microsoft.com
    Phone: +1 (425) 421-2642
    Time zone: (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Hi Vilmos,

    I man not sure if this could lead you to draw any conclusions.. But we can get the phone to sync contacts if our server (instead of returning the resspone above) just returns the standard respone for a new sync key as:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <FolderSync xmlns="FolderHierarchy">
      <Status>1</Status>
      <SyncKey>3</SyncKey>
      <Changes>
        <Count>0</Count>
      </Changes>
    </FolderSync>
    
    


      But obviously this is NOT the way things should work... A proper FolderSync with Add for new folders should be done first! Do you know if any respsone from the following commands could PREVENT the phone from accepting the FolderSync with adding new folders (as my initial post):

    • Results from OPTIONS command
    • Results from PROVISION command

     

    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Any news on this yet?
    Friday, December 2, 2011 2:45 PM
  • We, Lars (who started this issue) and I, are working on this case. When the solution will be known I’ll post it here.

    Vilmos

    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Many thanks Vilmos,

    Did some search last night and I am now convinced the issue has nothing to do with our EAS implementation or coding. There is a myriad of blog posts out there referrering to Error Code 8004010F for the WP7.5 which apparently is an bug/issue that sometimes occurs even when using Exchange, Windows Live, Google Sync etc...

    /Lars

    Friday, December 16, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Hi Lars,

    Thank you for your patience and effort for finding the problem and test the recommended workaround.
    The problem briefly:
    The client, Windows Phone (WP) 7.5, sends the initial FolderSync request with SyncKey 0 (zero).
    The server responses with the new SyncKey and telling, e.g. there were two changes.
    The client displays the generic error code 0x8004010F (MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND).

    The key element in the above scenario is that the server response does not contain the Deleted Items folder. In 7.5 code was introduced to prevent the synchronization of Calendar items in the Deleted Items folder. If the server does not have Deleted Items folder an attempt is made to use the default one, if it can’t be found the above error code is returned. A bug has been already filled against this behavior.

    The recommended workaround is to include the Deleted Items folder into the response to the initial FoderSync request.

    Thanks, Vilmos

    Monday, February 6, 2012 10:47 PM