none
Database support for word application level addin RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a word addin for my native language utilities support like dictionary, spell checker, thesaurus etc. For this I am using MS Access database at back end. The problem is that path of the database file is hard coded in the program. I tries using SQL database file but it does not support unicode characters of my native language and queries are returned empty which are otherwise working well in MS Access. I want to know which database should be used for the word addin? If MS Access is recommended then how to dynamically create connection string without having to hardcode the path of database file?

Thanks in advance.

Dharam Veer Sharma

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hello Dharam,

You can use any database in your add-in, it doesn't depend on Word actually. If you develop a VSTO based add-in , you can treat your add-in as a regular .Net based application. There is no difference between an add-in and standalone application in that case.  

I'd recommend asking database related questions in the SQL Server forums instead. Or, if you are going to use an Access database, please feel free to post your questions to the Access for Developers forum.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:43 PM