"Object reference not set..." when creating new project from Web Application template RRS feed

• Question

• User-1910562988 posted

I downloaded and installed VS2013 Express for Web, went to create a new project, selected ASP.NET Web Application with 4.5.1 selected and hit OK, selected Web Forms with Individual User Accounts for the authentication.

When I hit OK, it creates the project and then gives me an Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  This error is received when it is still generating the project; it is *not* a build error!

It appears that the template creates the majority of the basic site, but it contains no reference to the authentication that was selected, which is what I am attempting to look in to. Any help or direction would be appreciated!

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, fully updated.

I have attempted repairing VS2013 to no effect.
    I do still have VS2012 Express installed, if that could be a problem?
    I installed VS2013 in a non-default installation location, if that could be a problem? 
    I have attempted selecting both 4.5 and 4.5.1, both resulting in the same effect. 

Friday, October 25, 2013 1:42 AM

Answers

• User-1910562988 posted

One last update with a resolution!

I have a different post relating to VS2013 Ultimate and the response I got from it led me to the resolution.  The thread is here.

What I did to fix the issue with VS2013 Express for Web was the following:
    Open a command prompt as administrator 
    Go to the installation folder of VWDExpress.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE)
    Ran the following:
    VWDExpress.exe /installvstemplates
    VWDExpress.exe /resetsettings
    VWDExpress.exe /resetuserdata

After those commands were ran, I can now create a new Web Forms project without error.  

I hope this helps anyone else that may be experiencing this issue, if any! 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:42 PM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi A_Li_N

it creates the project and then gives me an Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  This error is received when it is still generating the project;

From your description above, this is not build error, I think it's related with your Visual Studio 2013 Express for Web installation. Do you install Visual Studio 2013 express for web from Microsoft web site?

Download Visual Studio 2013 (also available on MSDN subscriber downloads)

Read the VS 2013 release announcement by S. Somasegar: Visual Studio 2013 available for download

Read the Windows 8.1 release announcement on Blogging Windows: Windows 8.1 now available!

You could uninstall your VS first, and reinstall it from Microsoft web site, and check whether it still has same issue.

Regards

Monday, October 28, 2013 10:55 PM
  • User-1910562988 posted

Thank you for the response Angie xu.

That is where I downloaded from, yes.  I downloaded the .iso, mounted it and installed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and repairing, nothing seems to work except one thing, which isn't an option going forward.  I downloaded and installed the VS2013 Ultimate trial; once it was installed, I could create the projects just fine (in Express), however, once I uninstalled Ultimate, Express went back to doing the same as the above.

I will go try the web installer and see if it helps at all.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:25 AM
  • User-1910562988 posted

Just a quick reply after installing (repairing) from the web installer and restarting.  Problem did NOT resolve :(

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:40 AM
  • User-1910562988 posted

And one more quick update:
    I uninstalled VS2013 Express for Web and cleaned up all folders, then reinstalled using the web installer from Microsoft's download into the default location.  All to no effect, still receiving the Object reference error.  
    I am at a complete loss as to how to fix.  Hopefully someone else can help out? 

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:48 AM
  • User-1910562988 posted

One last update with a resolution!

I have a different post relating to VS2013 Ultimate and the response I got from it led me to the resolution.  The thread is here.

What I did to fix the issue with VS2013 Express for Web was the following:
    Open a command prompt as administrator 
    Go to the installation folder of VWDExpress.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE)
    Ran the following:
    VWDExpress.exe /installvstemplates
    VWDExpress.exe /resetsettings
    VWDExpress.exe /resetuserdata

After those commands were ran, I can now create a new Web Forms project without error.  

I hope this helps anyone else that may be experiencing this issue, if any! 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:42 PM