none
Receive location File Adapter issue with remote share folders. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Currently we have biztalk application having receive location to around 55 remote share locations.

Previously i face error of shutting down of receive location frequently, so to avoid i did registry to both server for MaxCMD which have corrected for the issue.

Now Other application who drops files to folders had given permission to everyone which invites virus infection to folders.

So we are thinking to keep these folders at BizTalk Server so that it will avoid any remote share folder issue and also avoid any virus related activity.

Pls advise would it be Ok to move remote share folder to local folder at biztalk server for file processing.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:16 AM

Answers

• I don;t see any problem with it, all you have to check is the Physical Disk I/O on these machine if you have enough disk space available and disk speed is good then you can move these shared folders. But make sure when configuring the receive location don't use the local paths e.g. c:\somefolder instead share these folders and use the network path \\machinename\somefolder

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitbiztalk.blogspot.com)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:40 AM

All replies

• I don;t see any problem with it, all you have to check is the Physical Disk I/O on these machine if you have enough disk space available and disk speed is good then you can move these shared folders. But make sure when configuring the receive location don't use the local paths e.g. c:\somefolder instead share these folders and use the network path \\machinename\somefolder

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitbiztalk.blogspot.com)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

Thanks for reply..

These folder will be local to BizTalk Server then also i make these folder shared?

What would be the reason or benefit doing this.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

You will need to specify the network path because in case you have multiple BizTalk servers in your BizTalk Group then as per your need the folder would be say on first machine so second server may not be able to fetch the files from first server unless you specify the network path.

In case you have just a single BizTalk server then there should be no issue using local server path.

Thanks With Regards,
    Shailesh Kawade
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    Please Mark This As Answer If This Helps You.
    http://shaileshbiztalk.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

As Shailesh already mentioned, when you have multple BizTalk machines, you might be in trouble. When you have multiple BizTalk machines, you will most likely have load balanced your hosts over those machines. So when you use a file share you are safe, since all machines (or actually Host Instances) will write to the same file share.
    But you don't want to have that share on only one BizTalk machine, because when that machine has outage of any kind, the share can't be used.

This can be solved in case you have a fail-over cluster. You can make this share to be a cluster resource. This makes sure that when there is an outage, the resource holding the share fails over to the other node.

Another option is not having that share on your BizTalk machine(s) but on a SAN. This takes away the complexity of creating a fail over cluster in case you don't have/need it and the share is still close to your BizTalk machines.

Hope this helps,
    Lex

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Hi Sandeep!

I would not suggest you to move those share folders locations to BizTalk Host! I would do it because of following:

• BizTalk is used for asynchronous communication , using hub and spoke kind of setup. Consider if those folders are moved to BizTalk machine and if the machine goes down , all your those external applications will also face problems as they would try to write on BizTalk server.
    • If you keep the folder on BizTalk and consider your same BizTalk node goes down , and Other file host which is trying to receive the messages from the folder will keep on raising error. Not a good idea right?

I would recommend you to create a Windows Group in your Domain and add users in that group. Give that group for those applications to write on the shared folder. It's easy to manage from everywhere,

I hope that helps!

HTH,Naushad (MCC/MCTS) http://alamnaushad.wordpress.com,My New Technet Wiki Article “BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly! Please "Vote As Helpful" if this was useful while resolving your question!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:43 PM