Suitable Icon Size RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,
    I'm developing wince application for windows mobiles. I've few doubts given below :
    1) How i came to know which icon size is suitable for which windows phones ???
    2) We can bundled .ico files of different sizes in one .ico file. Is Windows plateform itself choose the correct icon from bundled ico files ?? If no then how i can choose correct .ico file from bundled .ico files.

Thanks in advance.
    umesh
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Umesh,

You need not to take care about the icon size if you are using VS 2008. You just need to copy the .ico file, it will convert into sizes and save it to single file. Even you can create the single icon file with two sizes by using this software. According to the resolution of the device, icons will be utilized.

http://www.axialis.com/download/iw.html

Please let me know if you have any doubts regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

• Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, August 31, 2009 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Please look for the answer to Your questions in Marketplace Submission Guidelines 1.2.
    There's everything You wish to know about the icons.

For WinCE it's a bit different though, because devices may have different screen resolutions then that of WMs (PDAs).
    But I suggest You should create ONE ico file which will contain those icon sizes: 16x16, 22x22, 32x32, 44x44 and 64x64.
    Those icons should be enough for WinCE devices like PND / PNA but some embedded systems may have bigger resolutions then XGA.

As for Your second question - yes, WinCe automatically uses proper icon sizes for it's screen resolution and size, where it's needed (smaller for lists, bigger for desktop).

Hope it will clarify this a bit.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    "If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting."
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Umesh,

You need not to take care about the icon size if you are using VS 2008. You just need to copy the .ico file, it will convert into sizes and save it to single file. Even you can create the single icon file with two sizes by using this software. According to the resolution of the device, icons will be utilized.

http://www.axialis.com/download/iw.html

Please let me know if you have any doubts regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Please look for the answer to Your questions in Marketplace Submission Guidelines 1.2.
    There's everything You wish to know about the icons.

For WinCE it's a bit different though, because devices may have different screen resolutions then that of WMs (PDAs).
    But I suggest You should create ONE ico file which will contain those icon sizes: 16x16, 22x22, 32x32, 44x44 and 64x64.
    Those icons should be enough for WinCE devices like PND / PNA but some embedded systems may have bigger resolutions then XGA.

As for Your second question - yes, WinCe automatically uses proper icon sizes for it's screen resolution and size, where it's needed (smaller for lists, bigger for desktop).

Hope it will clarify this a bit.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    "If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting."
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:07 PM