creating shortcuts in .NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have an application and it is installed using the deployment agent in VS.NET 2003. It all works fine.

That is not where the problem is... lol...

My app has an update feature, so if there is an update it will download it and notify the user. Great.

Now, in my previous applications, it was unable to create/redirect/edit the shortcuts as I didnt care much about it at the time.

The new updated app DOES recreate/edit the shortcut to point to the new application (updated)

The shortcut is on the startmenu

I can get this to work however I have to use IWSH to modify the shortcut.

Thing is, since the "old" versions do not have this library, when the user updates the app to the new one (which has the reference to IWSH), next time there is another update, it will fail to update the shortcut because that dll was not found.

So really what I am asking is, is there another way of updating shortcuts on the start menu? (Without having to add a reference to another dll?)

Obviously it would have been simple if i was able to read it like a text file but it isnt possible of course, due to the "features" in the shortcuts of the startmenu, so it is "encrypted" :-)
    Sunday, October 23, 2005 2:06 AM

Answers

• Did you try this scenario with VS 2005? Is this still an issue?

Thanks,

Saturday, May 5, 2007 1:34 AM

All replies

• anyone?
    Monday, October 24, 2005 1:32 AM
  • Did you try this scenario with VS 2005? Is this still an issue?

Thanks,

Saturday, May 5, 2007 1:34 AM