How to handle mobile app settings previously in charm bar and removed in Win10 ?

Question

• Dear all,

I just start a mobile app tablet application using Windows 8.1 dev and universal app.
    Then few days after I decide to look how it will be in Windows 10 UAP envrionment and discover from a video that Charm bar as been remove by default in Windows 10 even it is accessible by a shortcut keyboard.

In order to anticipate changes, where do we place now app settings that we used to display in Charm bar Under an app build in Win10 ?

Does it means we need to have a kind of setting button in App bar menu and then simply display our app settings Inside the application layout itself ?

thnaks for comments

regards

serge

Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:21 AM

Answers

• We don't have a clear answer on that yet. I am under the impression the Charms bar is going away from all platforms, but we'll probably find out more at Build.

For small tablets and phones, I expect Microsoft will want the same UI guidelines, and I can't imagine the Charms bar coming to the phone. I expect anything previously in the Charms bar will be implemented by the user in the app's main UI.

I would design your app with that in mind. Use a hamburger button or put a settings button somewhere accessible.

It's a shame to see the Charms bar go, as it is a great piece of UI - simple and consistent.

Visit http://blog.grogansoft.com/ for Windows development fun.

• Marked as answer by wakefun Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:23 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, I recommend you to have a settings button somewhere in your UI. For now there is no specific requirement about it.

Thanks,
    Adrian

Adrián Fernández

Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Does the charm bar desappears only when running in Desktop Win10 or will it be removed also when working on Tablet with Win10 ?

regards

serge

Friday, April 17, 2015 7:17 AM
  • We don't have a clear answer on that yet. I am under the impression the Charms bar is going away from all platforms, but we'll probably find out more at Build.

For small tablets and phones, I expect Microsoft will want the same UI guidelines, and I can't imagine the Charms bar coming to the phone. I expect anything previously in the Charms bar will be implemented by the user in the app's main UI.

I would design your app with that in mind. Use a hamburger button or put a settings button somewhere accessible.

It's a shame to see the Charms bar go, as it is a great piece of UI - simple and consistent.

Visit http://blog.grogansoft.com/ for Windows development fun.

• Marked as answer by wakefun Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:23 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 9:51 AM
  • yes full agree with you. Sometimes I do not understand the strategy behind this.

So I will place then a setting button on the AppBar and simply call a user control to be display in my main UI page which will contains my settings.

But then comes another points, where those settings gets stored in UAP windows10 now ?

regards

serge

Friday, April 17, 2015 11:17 AM