none
Read Excel data from Stream on XBAP RRS feed

• Question

• In a WPF XBAP application (Iexplorer hosted) I need to load and parse data from a Excel file localized in the client’s computer.

• Cannot use Isolated Storage because of the size limitations imposed by the Internet Zone (1.4 mb or so).
    • Cannot use ADO..NET. Cannot create a valid connection string and use the Microsoft.JET provider because of the limitations imposed by the Internet Zone: cannot access the file system directly.
    • I can read the Excel data ONLY as an stream, again, because of the Internet Zone limitations.

Can use the Microsoft.JET provider to read from an stream?

Any other approachs to do this?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:55 PM

Answers

• You cannot use Jet to read from stream and you would need to dump data into file in this case. If it is Excel file in XLS file format, you could try my component that allows to read data from Excel stream.

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:23 AM

All replies

• You cannot use Jet to read from stream and you would need to dump data into file in this case. If it is Excel file in XLS file format, you could try my component that allows to read data from Excel stream.

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

¿Is there any way to do this using plain .NET code?

Friday, November 23, 2007 12:26 PM
  • As I know, you cannot do it with plain .NET code, just because Jet or Office tools do not support memory streams

Monday, November 26, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hi Nestor,

It was long time when you posted this. I'm facing similar challenge. Were you able to get to a solution. Please share if yes.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:50 PM