Folder Permissions RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ive added 5 folders under the Shared Documents folder of our site. One such folder is called "Research".

I want to allow employees (I have a group setup called "Employees") to add/edit/delete documents found within the Research folder, however, I do not want to give them permission to delete the Research folder or create Folders underneath the research folder. I only want to allow the folder manager (I have a group called "Research Managers") to add/edit/delete folders underneath the Research folder.

I've tried configuring the permissions, but cannot get this scenario to work properly. Any insights or tutorials which show how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks, -lance

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:11 AM

All replies

• Have you tried working with permission levels, or are you trying to get it to work via the out-of-the-box roles?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:35 AM
  • First on the document library select settings > document library settings > advanced settings

Change "Display "New Folder" command on the New menu? " to no, this should leave your current folders in tact but disable the creation of new ones.

Then go back to your document library, pull up the menu for the "Research" folder and manage permissions on the folder as desired

You may need to temporarily re-enable the "Display "New Folder" command on the New menu? " option when you want "Research Managers" to create a new folder.

HTH,

Jason

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  

It seems that the issue to me is with the pre-canned permissions used by sharepoint. What Im looking for is the ability to allow users to ADD content (files and folders) with the ability to ONLY delete the content they have added, not which other users have added. At least this is my understanding of the Sharepoint permission (Read and Contribute).

Saturday, October 6, 2007 10:04 PM
  • I am having the same requirenments, Any solution for this?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:06 PM