Exception handling in multi-tiered applications? RRS feed

• Question

• User48651432 posted

Even though I'm trying to implement exception handling in a multi-tiered Windows application, catching and throwing exceptions should be the same for Windows and Web (sans global.asax and web.config custom errors).

I have a webform with a texbox that displays exceptions. So my webform invokes a method in BusinessTier class which then invokes a method in DataTier class. How can I throw my DataTier method exception so it reaches my webform?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:25 PM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

How can I throw my DataTier method exception so it reaches my webform?

One mis conception is that exceptions will not bubble up unless explicitly thrown; this is not true.  Your generated exception should and will automatically bubble up From the DataTier -> to the BusinessTier -> to the webform (UI) unless handled and consumed beforehand.  No 'Throw()' statements are needed, and in fact they will disrupt the StackTrace if improperly used.

Try it out: generate or cause an exception at your lowest layer, and place only a 'Catch' at your highest layer (UI) with a break point set up.  Sure enough the exception will bubble all the way back up automatically. Smile

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:26 PM

All replies

• User-1659704165 posted

Hi,

u can use "ApplicationException"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479319.aspx

chk the above link for more info

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:15 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

How can I throw my DataTier method exception so it reaches my webform?

One mis conception is that exceptions will not bubble up unless explicitly thrown; this is not true.  Your generated exception should and will automatically bubble up From the DataTier -> to the BusinessTier -> to the webform (UI) unless handled and consumed beforehand.  No 'Throw()' statements are needed, and in fact they will disrupt the StackTrace if improperly used.

Try it out: generate or cause an exception at your lowest layer, and place only a 'Catch' at your highest layer (UI) with a break point set up.  Sure enough the exception will bubble all the way back up automatically. Smile

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:26 PM